Homemade Eggnog Recipe
Eggnog is a delicious, traditional holiday drink, and this homemade eggnog recipe makes a fabulously rich, tasty, fresh eggnog you can whip up in minutes. This is truly the best eggnog you will ever have.
Prep Time: 7 minutes
• 6 Large Eggs
• 1/2 cup Sugar
• 1 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
• 3/4 cup Brandy
• 3/4 cup Spiced Rum
• 2 cups Whole Milk
• 1 1/2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
• Beat eggs in blender for a minute (if using a blentec, 20 seconds is fine).
• Add sugar, blend again for another 30-45 seconds (if using a blentec, 10 seconds is fine).
• Add nutmeg, brandy, spiced rum, milk and cream until combined (30 seconds with a blentec, at 40 seconds the eggs start to cook).
• Chill thoroughly.
• Stir before serving.
• Pour into glass or mug, top with nutmeg.
• Refrigerated eggnog when not in use.
Makes 10 servings Homemade Eggnog
• Do NOT substitute white rum for the spiced rum.
• If you do not have heavy whipping cream, you can substitute half and half. It will not be as rich, but that isn’t necessarily bad.
Eggnog has been around a loooong time. The etymology traces back to medieval times: where the nog part of eggnog may from the word noggin, a Middle English term for a small, carved wooden mug used to serve alcohol.
The Farmer’s Almanac lists George Washington’s Eggnog Recipe (which would have me on the floor but quick!)
“One quart cream, one quart milk, one dozen tablespoons sugar, one pint brandy, 1/2 pint rye whiskey, 1/2 pint Jamaica rum, 1/4 pint sherry—mix liquor first, then separate yolks and whites of eggs, add sugar to beaten yolks, mix well. Add milk and cream, slowly beating. Beat whites of eggs until stiff and fold slowly into mixture. Let set in cool place for several days. Taste frequently.”
Clearly eggnog has evolved over the years. A bit (ok a lot) less booze, a bit more egg.
This eggnog is probably the best eggnog recipe I have ever made or tried. It is smooooooth. People get a bit funny about raw eggs, so if it bothers you, consume quickly after making. If raw eggs don’t bother you, this is better day two.
As always, drink responsibly and please don’t drink and drive.
FOLLOW US ON: