Make the most of your fresh garden zucchini with this delicious stuffed zucchini recipe which can be served as either a side dish or a main dish.
Prep Time:30 minutes
Cook Time:75 minutes, divided
• 3 large Zucchini
• 2 TBSP Olive Oil
• 1 lb Ground Beef
• 1 Onion, finely chopped
• 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
• 1 cup Cooked Rice
• 1 TBSP Fresh Basil, chopped
• 1/4 tsp Fresh Oregano, chopped
• 1/2 tsp Paprika
• 1 (26oz) Jar Spaghetti Sauce, divided
• 8oz Monterey Jack Cheese, Shredded and divided
• Sale and Pepper to taste
• Preheat oven to 400°.
• Slice washed zucchini in half the long way. Slice off 1/8″ of each bottom so it can lay flat in the pan.
• Scoop out inside of the zucchini to make “canoes”. Don’t scoop out too much; you don’t want the filling to leak ou when cooking.
• Place those zucchini in a greased 13×9 pan. Roast at 400° for 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool. This will dry out the zucchini a bit and they will end up meaty rather than mushy.
• Once your zucchini are removed and cool, you will be baking the recipe at 350°.
• Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat; saute onions until tender, approximately 5 minutes.
• Add garlic to onions, and saute an additional 2 minutes.
• Add ground beef to the garlic-onion mixture. Cook until browned.
• Add rice and spices.
• Once the meat has browned and the rice and spices have been mixed in, add 3 tablespoons of the spaghetti sauce to the mixture.
• Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
• Sprinkle half of the Monterey Jack cheese in the bottom each zucchini “canoe” shell.
• Fill with meat mixture.
• Top with rest of spaghetti sauce, then top with remaining Monterey Jack cheese and garnish with fresh, slivered basil.
• Place the 13×9 pan back in the 350° oven, and bake for 20-25 minutes until thoroughly heated, and cheese is melted.
• Serve hot.
Makes 4-6 servings of Stuffed Zucchini
FOLLOW US ON: