Eggnog is a delicious, traditional holiday drink, and this homemade eggnog recipe makes a fabulously rich, tasty, fresh eggnog you can whip up in minutes. This homemade eggnog recipe is truly the best eggnog you will ever have!! Make this eggnog this holiday season. Yum!
Homemade Eggnog Recipe
This eggnog is probably the best eggnog recipe I have ever made or tried. It is smooooooth. People get a bit funny about raw eggs, so if it bothers you, consume quickly after making. If raw eggs don’t bother you, this is better day two.
Eggnog has been around a loooong time. The etymology traces back to medieval times: where the nog part of eggnog may from the word noggin, a Middle English term for a small, carved wooden mug used to serve alcohol.
The Farmer’s Almanac lists George Washington’s Eggnog Recipe (which would have me on the floor but quick!)
“One quart cream, one quart milk, one dozen tablespoons sugar, one pint brandy, 1/2 pint rye whiskey, 1/2 pint Jamaica rum, 1/4 pint sherry—mix liquor first, then separate yolks and whites of eggs, add sugar to beaten yolks, mix well. Add milk and cream, slowly beating. Beat whites of eggs until stiff and fold slowly into mixture. Let set in cool place for several days. Taste frequently.”
Clearly eggnog has evolved over the years. A bit (ok a lot) less booze, a bit more egg.
Homemade Eggnog Recipe Notes:
• Do NOT substitute white rum for the spiced rum.
• If you do not have heavy whipping cream, you can substitute half and half. It will not be as rich, but that is not necessarily bad.
Homemade Eggnog Recipe Ingredients:
• 6 Large Eggs
• ½ cup Sugar
• 1½ tsp Nutmeg
• ¾ cup Brandy
• ¾ cup Spiced Rum
• 2 cups Whole Milk
• 1½ cups Heavy Whipping Cream
Homemade Eggnog Mise en Place:
Homemade Eggnog Recipe Directions:
• Beat 6 large eggs in a blender for a minute (if using a blentec, 20 seconds is fine).
• Add ½ cup sugar, blend again for another 30-45 seconds (if using a blentec, 10 seconds is fine).
• Add 1½ teaspoons of nutmeg, ¾ cup of brandy, ¾ cup of spiced rum, 2 cups of milk and 1½ cups of heavy whipping cream until combined (30 seconds with a blentec, at 40 seconds so the the eggs do not start to cook).
• Chill thoroughly.
• Stir before serving.
• Pour into glass or mug, top with nutmeg.
• Refrigerated eggnog when not in use.
- 6 Large Eggs
- ½ cup Sugar
- 1½ tsp Nutmeg
- ¾ cup Brandy
- ¾ cup Spiced Rum
- 2 cups Whole Milk
- 1½ cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- Beat 6 large eggs in a blender for a minute (if using a blentec, 20 seconds is fine).
- Add ½ cup sugar, blend again for another 30-45 seconds (if using a blentec, 10 seconds is fine).
- Add 1½ teaspoons of nutmeg, ¾ cup of brandy, ¾ cup of spiced rum, 2 cups of milk and 1½ cups of heavy whipping cream until combined (30 seconds with a blentec, at 40 seconds so the the eggs do not start to cook).
- Chill thoroughly.
- Stir before serving.
- Pour into glass or mug, top with nutmeg.
- Refrigerated eggnog when not in use.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 379Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 196mgSodium: 92mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 0gSugar: 17gProtein: 8g
Like eggnog? You will love these eggnog recipe:
• Eggnog Pudding Shots Recipe – Ho-Ho-Ho Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Get into the holiday spirit with these fabulous eggnog pudding shots. These fun eggnog pudding shots are perfect for holiday parties and get-togethers. Simply follow these easy step-by-step pudding shot instructions to make these phenomenal Eggnog Pudding Shots for your holiday party!
• Eggnog Jello Shots Recipe – If you like eggnog you will love these fabulous Eggnog Jello Shots. These jello shots taste just like your favorite eggnog recipe! These fun Eggnog Jello shots are perfect for holiday parties and get-togethers.
• Eggnog Kaleidoscope Jello Recipe – An easy to make, festive Eggnog Kaleidoscope Jello Recipe is perfect for a holiday dinner dessert or side dish. This old-fashioned recipe dates back over 35 years! Your entire family will love it.
• If you enjoyed this post, be sure to sign up for the Ann’s Entitled Life weekly newsletter, and never miss another article!