This adorable little birdie will look so sweet on a side table, fireplace mantel, or as part of a centerpiece! Use an old wooden box (this one is a cigar box), a bird and its nest, and in about 15 minutes you will have an unusual, but lovely, floral piece perfect in any décor!
Wooden Box Bird’s Nest Floral Arrangement
This is a sweet, easy little craft that takes about 15 minutes to make. This is a little birdy nesting in the cigar box. Since it is winter, we went with a winter theme. You could update to a fall or spring theme with a different bird (less sparkly), non-evergreen floral, or just evergreen floral that does not have any embellishments.
Wooden Box Bird’s Nest Floral Arrangement Notes:
● You can use an old cigar box, or purchase a new one at a craft store. The box also does not specifically have to be a “cigar box”, that is just what we had on hand so used it. You can use any small wooden box with a lid (or without a lid!) that you may have on hand.
● This cigar box is finished. You can also buy unfinished wooden boxes and paint it any color you like, or finish it with a polyurethane.
● This cigar box does not have brackets. The cigar box will stay open once the bird and floral have been inserted. Also note it will never close once the floral foam, bird, and floral have been inserted.
● This is an excellent craft for a small space, or as part of a centerpiece.
● This cigar box craft is versatile – it works in farmhouse décor, mission décor or rustic setting! Use this in a family room, kitchen, or enclosed porch – as I said, it fits in so many styles and places.
Wooden Box Bird’s Nest Floral Arrangement Materials:
● Wooden Box (a cigar box was used in this tutorial)
● Floral Foam (knife to cut it, if necessary)
● 3 Evergreen Floral Picks
● Bird (we used a bird pick)
● Glue Gun
● Hot Glue Sticks
● Wire Cutters
Wooden Box Bird’s Nest Floral Arrangement Directions:
● Open the wooden box.
● Fit the floral foam inside the wooden box; cut to size if necessary.
● Hot glue the floral foam to the bottom of the wooden box using a liberal amount of hot glue!!!
● Press the floral foam in place to set.
● Fluff the floral evergreen picks, and insert one of them into the foam in the wooden box.
● Insert the other two evergreen floral picks leaving enough space to place the bird’s nest. You can hot glue to the evergreen picks in place with a small dab of hot glue to secure them firmly.
● In the open spot on the floral foam place your bird’s nest. Hot glue in place.
● Insert the bird next to the nest, hot glue in place.
● Fluff the evergreen that is in the wooden box to cover any “holes”.
● That is it! Display as you like.
- Wooden Box (a cigar box was used in this tutorial)
- Floral Foam (knife to cut it)
- 3 Evergreen Floral Picks
- Bird (we used a bird pick)
- Wire Cutters
- Hot Glue Gun
- Hot Glue
- Open the wooden box.
- Fit the floral foam inside the wooden box; cut to size if necessary.
- Hot glue the floral foam to the bottom of the wooden box using a liberal amount of hot glue!!!
- Press the floral foam in place to set.
- Fluff the floral evergreen picks, and insert one of them into the foam in the wooden box.
- Insert the other two evergreen floral picks leaving enough space to place the bird's nest. You can hot glue to the evergreen picks in place with a small dab of hot glue to secure them firmly.
- In the open spot on the floral foam place your bird's nest. Hot glue in place.
- Insert the bird next to the nest, hot glue in place.
- Fluff the evergreen that is in the wooden box to cover any "holes".
- That is it! Display as you like.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you are interested in making more centerpieces or side table pieces, check out these great DIY crafts:
● How to Make Floral Bookends – These decorative bookends are so easy to make! In less than 15 minutes you can make a set of unique bookends to match your room decor or to give as a gift (a great teacher gift!). Highly customizable, these step by step instructions will show you how to make floral bookends for any season, color scheme, or decorating taste.
● Easy Birdcage Decor: Winter White Flowers – Have an old birdcage lying about that you would like to repurpose into a beautiful decor piece? This wonderful winter white birdcage decorating idea is a lovely DIY decorating piece for the holidays and beyond.
● Dollar Store Craft: Paper Bag Flower Arrangement – This is an unusual, easy to make craft you can fabricate with basics found at your local dollar store. If you are looking for an inexpensive, quirky craft, you can make this paper bag flower arrangement in about 30 minutes using these step-by-step instructions.
● If you enjoyed this post, be sure to sign up for the Ann’s Entitled Life weekly newsletter, and never miss another article!