7 Tips for Summer Hair Care
No matter what your age, hair color, or hair style you need to protect your tresses when you are out and about enjoying a beautiful summer day. Wind, sun, salt, chlorine can all damage your hair. Whether gardening in the backyard or spending a week at the beach your hair needs some extra care in the summertime. Here are 7 Tips for Summer Hair Care focusing on ideas to keep your locks healthy and shiny all summer long!
• Cover Up! – Wearing a hat or scarf outdoors not only protects your hair and scalp from damaging UV rays but it also helps keep the wind from tangling and damaging your hair. It is especially important for color treated hair. These days, you can even buy hats with UV protection protection in the fabric! Gardening, walking, on the beach or even just picnicking, put on a hat this summer. You hair will thank you!
• Sunscreen – After lathering yourself up good with sunscreen run your hands over your hair with a very light coat of sunscreen- this can be a bit drying as well but will protect from some of the suns rays. So, switch to a UV Shampoo and UV Conditioner this summer – they will go a long way toward helping protect your beautiful hair this summer.
• Deep Condition – Bump up your deep conditioning or hot oil hair treatments to once a week if you spend much time outside or in the water to keep hair healthy and soft. A Leave in conditioner can help keep out the green too!
• Rinse After Swimming – Every time you take a dip in the salty ocean or chlorinated pool at the least rinse thoroughly with water. If you can rinse with apple cider vinegar and apply a leave in conditioner. To avoid green chlorine hair, try Ultra Swim.
• Drink Plenty of Water – Our health and beauty can be helped through moisturizing from the inside out. Drink plenty of water in the heat of summer for optimal skin and hair health. Drink your 8 glasses daily!
• Use a Wide Tooth Comb – When combing through wind whipped hair or after a deep condition use a wide toothed comb instead of a brush as a gentler option for detangling fragile summer hair (really this is good practice year round). Be sure to keep one in your beach bag.
• Get a Good Haircut – Before summer starts schedule an appointment with your favorite hair stylist and trim off any dead ends, or get a completely new summer hairdo! Regular haircuts and trims keep your hair looking healthy and sleek rather than ratty and fried.
Note: longtime readers know I am allllll about the hair!! I get my *cough* “natural” *cough* red hair touched up every 3 weeks, a haircut every 6 weeks, and my highlights every 9 weeks (used to be 12 weeks, but the roots got a little obvious). My hair is lovely – truly the best looking part of me, and that has been a reality for a good 15 years now. Old age… where things get saggy and spread *sigh* but my hair still looks fabulous! I use a great shampoo, get regular hair care, take a ton of Biotin and wear a hat in the sun. That really helps to keep my hair from fading.
What is your favorite summer hair care tip?
• Disclosure: the links in this post may be affiliate links.
• If you enjoyed this post, be sure to sign up for the Ann’s Entitled Life weekly newsletter, and never miss another article!