Pure Grapefruit Essential Oil is a true favorite of many essential oil users. Grapefruit Essential Oil has a wonderful sweet citrus scent and some pretty awesome uses and attributions. Here are some of the top uses of Grapefruit Essential Oil, along with a skin tightening formula for you to try!
Grapefruit Essential Oil can be best described as light citrus, detoxifying and fresh. It can be used to make many household cleaners, and body products.
Grapefruit Essential Oil is extracted by a cold press from the rind of the grapefruit, and its main components are d- limonene and Myrcene.
Grapefruit Essential Oil’s top properties are: a diuretic, an antioxidant, an antiseptic, an astringent, an anti-toxic, a purifier and an expectorant.
One thing to note when using a citrus oil is that they can cause skin sensitivity when going out into sunlight or UV exposure if they have been used within 12 hours prior, so take caution.
Here are the top uses for Grapefruit Essential Oil:
(Please note that all results will not be the same for all people, and no medical claims are being made by me!)
• Weight Loss and Cellulite – You can take grapefruit essential oil internally either in a glass of water or in a capsule (take with water). Apply grapefruit essential oil topically to the area of concern, using a carrier oil or natural lotion. It may help break down cellulite and may help to wash away toxins. Be certain though to drink plenty of water when using grapefruit essential oOil for this issue as the oil should help get the toxins loose but you have to help flush them out of your system – remember, Grapefruit Essential Oil also has diuretic properties.
• Addictions and Sugar Cravings – Diffuse grapefruit essential oil throughout the day or apply to palms of the hands, and then cup the nose and mouth and inhale deeply. Can also be taken in a capsule form for this as well.
• Oily Skin and Acne – Dilute grapefruit essential oil with a carrier oil or add to your daily face wash or moisturizer, and apply topically. Apply to areas of concern or to acne itself.
• Detoxification – For an overall detox of the body, rub grapefruit essential oil on the bottoms of the feet or take internally with water. Drink water throughout the day to help flush toxins out.
• Kidney and Lymphatic Cleanse – Take grapefruit essential oil internally in water or in a capsule and/or rub topically on areas affected. You want to use Grapefruit Essential Oil as a cleanse to help detoxify.
• Breast and Uterine Health and Balance of Progesterone – Use grapefruit essential oil internally in a capsule daily or apply on area of concern.
Suggestion: Place 20 to 25 drops of Grapefruit Essential Oil in a roller ball bottle and top off with a carrier oil. Use use daily, applying to areas a few times per day.
Make sure you continue to drink water, even when only applying topically.
• Adrenal Fatigue – Use Grapefruit Essential Oil topically over your adrenals and also on the bottoms of the feet. Also can be taken internally for this issue in a capsule daily.
Add basil essential oil to the Grapefruit Essential Oil for this issue as well, layering the oils on the skin or taking both in the capsule at once.
• Hangover – Take internally in a capsule form or in a glass of water.
• Emotional Perk – Use Grapefruit Essential Oil either topically or aromatically to help make your senses feel upbeat!
Grapefruit is an oil that gives a happy and energized feeling when used for its aroma. It can help balance your daily mood, and as a pick-me-up scent. Apply to wrists or temples, or even over the chest to help brighten your mood, and combine with lime essential oil or orange oil for a boosted effect, as those citrus oils work similarly.
Recipe for Skin Tightening Lotion (and possible help with cellulite!)
• You will need a small glass jar, approximately 12 oz in size, with lid. (Do not use any citrus oil in a plastic container, as it will break down the toxins in the plastic and literally put them into your product.)
• Unscented Natural Lotion – note that a shea butter lotion also works really well and is very moisturizing. Be sure not to use a lotion that has additives or perfumes in it, otherwise you are adding toxins right back into your body and kind of defeating the whole purpose.
• 15 drops Peppermint Essential Oil
• 15 drops Lime Essential Oil
• 20 drops Grapefruit Essential Oil
Directions for Skin Tightening Lotion: (and possible help with cellulite!)
• Fill your glass jar halfway to the top with Unscented Natural Lotion
• Add in 15 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil and 15 drop of Lime Essential Oil.
• Then add 20 drops of Grapefruit Essential Oil and whisk really well into the lotion, topping off the rest of the way in the jar with more lotion.
• Make certain to work the oils all the way through the lotion so it not concentrated in just one area of the jar.
• Note: it may be easier for you to do this in a small bowl, and the use a small spatula to transfer to your jar after your oils are completely incorporated in your unscented natural lotion.
To Use Skin Tightening Lotion: (and possible help with cellulite!)
• Best used after a shower.
• Apply lotion to any areas of concern, whether it be cellulite or a stretched skin area.
• Rub lotion on to the area.
• You can do this daily.
• You may also like this easy to make DIY Grapefruit Sugar Scrub Cubes recipe!
Note: None of this is meant as medical advice. I am not a doctor, and do not play one on the internet. Please consult a physician if you have any questions about using essential oils so your doctor can better explain to you the benefits, possible side effects, and any warnings about essential oils.
• Disclosure: the links in this post may be affiliate links.
• If you enjoyed this post, be sure to sign up for the Ann’s Entitled Life weekly newsletter, and never miss another article!