A list of indispensable, useful tools and products every crafter needs to have in their craft box. Whether you are just beginning to make your own crafts, are a special occasion crafter, or a crafting veteran, this list of must-haves crafting products is important to getting the crafting job done!
I love DIY projects. But before you get started, you need to be certain you have all of the essential crafting tools on hand to get your projects done right. Note: lot on this list will make a great gift for the crafter in your life! This is a list of craft supplies for adults or older teens, not toddlers (so no safety scissors or other items that benefit small hands).
25 Essential Crafting Supplies
I recently went through my craft supplies (oy!) because we are in the midst of a planned move. I kept a box of essentials so I would not have to start from scratch. One thing I did not dwell on much on this list is portable craft storage containers. These are a few I have that made sorting, storing, and moving much easier:
● Clear scrapbook cases – I use these primarily for papers, construction paper, felt. It keeps them not only organized, but flat. Very important.
● Latchmate+ Mint Storage Box with Tray – I love this because I can separate my lighter weight, delicate, or sharp items on top. I have quite a few of these, and they come in handy for allowing me to move craft supplies from place to place.
Below is a list of my must-have crafter’s tools. Let’s get crafting with the help of these essential craft supplies.
The best prices for these supplies may vary from area to area. You can find them at Joann, Michaels, Hobby Lobby in-store, your local craft store, or online at Amazon. If you are starting from scratch, I advise you to look around a bit before buying. Sometimes, I am stuck and need that item NOW, and so I pay up. Having a box of essential crafting supplies will help mitigate costs in the long run.
Regardless of the type of crafts you do, there are some craft supplies you will always need and use.
General Crafting Supplies
- Exacto Knife: This easy-to-hold Exacto knife is a must-have for every crafter. Some people refer to this as a x-acto knife, craft knife, or cutter.
- Self Healing Cutting Matt: I love this cutting matt to protect my work surface. It is large, cut-proof, and I can use it in my craft room or on my kitchen table as it is portable! Self-healing matts are indispensable for a crafter. This matt is the perfect place to cut a variety of materials. The healing feature helps keep the matt smooth, which gives it a longer life.
- Hot Glue Gun: Glue a variety of materials with a solution that is permanent. This glue gun comes complete with the hot glue sticks.
- Wire Cutters: Stop struggling with scissors and other methods to cut wire by adding this pair of wire cutters to your crafting tools.
- Straight Edge: Another essential crafting supply every crafter should keep on hand.
- Paper Cutter: Get the perfect cut while working with paper. This one has a ruler that runs along both sides to help align everything just right.
- Scissors: I keep a variety of scissors on hand for different uses. Here are some of my must haves:
- Everyday Use
- Gingher Fabric Scissors
- Industrial Shears
- Folding Travel Scissors
- Stork Scissors
- Decorative Edge Scissors
- Tape Measure: Make sure to always measure twice and cut once!
- Pliers Set: This set comes with 6 different types of pliers including needle nose, long nose, flat nose, and more.
- Floral Wire 22 Guage: Bunch together flowers and other mediums with the help of floral wire. This works really well because it can be tucked away and kept out of sight. Floral tape also helps!
- Goop: My all-around favorite adhesive outside of a glue gun. This stuff is waterproof (marine goop) and temperature resistant.
- Mod Podge: Seal projects with the help of Mod Podge.
- Paint Brush Set: Having a decent set of paint brushes on hand can make or break a project. This set comes with a variety of sizes.
- Craft Paint Kit: The colors in this set are amazing! Plus, these paints can be used on a variety of surfaces. Don’t forget the paintbrushes!
- Construction Paper Set: Keeping a set of construction paper on hand guarantees that you won’t find yourself running out at the last minute to pick up a certain color.
- Crafting Tweezers: Easy to grip tweezers allow crafters to place small items exactly where they need to go.
- Wood and Leather Pyrography Pen: Wood and leather burning create an amazing effect on crafts. This set has everything you need, including a case to keep it all in place.
- Washi Tape Set: Decorative tape in different patterns and colors.
- Rotary Cutter: Get a precise cut on fabric, vinyl, and other mediums with this rotary cutter.
- Gold Leaf Sheet Pack: Add a little bling to your crafting projects with the help of some gold leaf!
- Glitter Set: Another way to add some sparkle and shine to your craft projects.
Crafting Storage: Depending on the volume of crafting supplies you have on hand, there are a few different bins, trays, and even toolboxes available to keep all of your supplies in place. Here are some of my favorites:
Now to get to the good part… crafting! For some inspiration, take a look at a few of these craft projects I know you would love.
- Hydrangea Wreath
- DIY Easy No Sew Throw Pillow
- Dollar Store Craft: Paper Bag Flower Arrangement
- How To Make A Seashell Mirror
- How to Make Floral Bookends
For even more crafting inspiration and project ideas, visit the Craft Section of my website.
If you are on the hunt for crafting gifts, any of these items are a great place to start. Instead of packaging them inside of a gift box, use a Tool Box instead.
What essential craft tools do you keep on hand?