Bacon Cornmeal Dog Biscuit Recipe
These homemade dog treats for your special pooch are bursting with flavors dogs love. These easy to make bacon cornmeal dog biscuits will have your pet barking for more.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 Minutes
• 2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
• ½ cup Cornmeal
• ½ cup Bacon Grease (approximately)
• 5 TBSP Olive Oil (or vegetable)
• ¼ cup Water (may increase in ¼ cup increments to 1 cup)
• Preheat oven to 350˚.
• In a bowl, add whole wheat flour and corn meal; mix well.
• Make sure your bacon grease is cooled, but if it is hardened, microwave to liquefy it. (Place it in the microwave. Microwave on 50% power for 10 seconds. Stir well. If it’s still thick, repeat once or twice until liquid.)
• Add liquefied bacon grease to flour mixture; mix.
• Add oil and water beginning with ¼ cup of water. This may be enough, or you may require additional water (up to one cup) added ¼ cup at a time – until the dough forms a ball.
• Roll dough onto a floured (with corn meal or whole wheat flour) surface and cut into dog bone shapes with a cookie cutter or use a knife to create sticks or squares.
• Place on parchment paper lined baking sheet.
• Bake 25-35 minutes at 350˚ until crispy and golden.
• Cool completely before serving.
• Makes 12 servings Bacon Cornmeal Dog Biscuits
• Make certain your dog is not allergic to whole wheat flour or cornmeal (or bacon grease) before making and serving these. Many white dogs develop “tears”. This is usually (but not always) a wheat allergy. If you are not certain if your dog has allergies, use caution when introducing a new food or treat to your pooch, and consult your dog’s veterinarian.
• I listed 12 as the servings, but that will really depend on how large you make your biscuits. A small portion will make many more, a larger portion will make less. It really depends on the size of your dog.
• Tip: After making bacon, store the bacon grease in the refrigerator in a covered container until ready to use. You can probably freeze it as well and make these dog biscuits when they are convenient for you.
Bacon Cornmeal Dog Biscuit Recipe Mise en Place:
• Disclosure the links in this post may be affiliate links.
• If you enjoyed this post, be sure to sign up for the Ann’s Entitled Life weekly newsletter, and never miss another article!