Eucalyptus is best described as being enlivening, fresh and clearing. Eucalyptus Essential Oil is a potent and powerful oil and just a few drops can do the trick most of the time. Here are the top uses for eucalyptus essential oil, including some great cleaning formulas!
Top Uses for Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Eucalyptus is best known for its woody scent that helps give relief for sinus issues. Eucalyptus has a wonderful smell and a little goes a long way. This is really true when it is in the form of the essential oil.
Eucalyptus Essential Oil is created by a steam distillation process that extracts the oils from the leaves. Its main constituents are eucalyptol and Alpha-terpineol.
Eucalyptus Essential Oil has many uses including antiviral, antibacterial, expectorant, analgesic, insecticidal, hypotensive, and as a disinfectant. You can see by this list that Eucalyptus Essential Oil can be useful for treating a cold or to open up your sinuses. Eucalyptus Essential Oil is a great one to make homemade cleaners with and also fantastic for bath salts and other bath items (check out these eucalyptus laundry crystals recipe!)
Eucalyptus Essential Oil blends very well with rosemary and with peppermint or lemon.
It is recommended that when using Eucalyptus Essential Oil you dilute it in case of skin sensitivity, as it is very potent. Always test for skin sensitivity when using an essential oil.
During World War I Eucalyptus Essential Oil was widely used to treat infections and influenza. Using the essential oil form of eucalyptus to treat these things today is not necessarily a new idea even as essential oils have become such a huge trend in recent years.
Top Uses for Eucalyptus Essential Oil:
● Earaches – Dilute Eucalyptus Essential Oil with a carrier oil and apply to outer ear, and bone, both in front of the ear and behind and run down the jaw line for potential relief. Also put Eucalyptus Essential Oil on a cotton ball and place just inside the ear (my mom did this when we were little). You can also add basil essential oil to it in this for potentially better results. Never place essential oils inside the ear canal. Using Eucalyptus Essential Oil on your chest can help relieve the sinuses and congestion, so in turn can help the earache as well.
● Congestion – Dilute Eucalyptus Essential Oil with a carrier oil and apply on areas where congested and on the soles of your feet. In particular, apply to the area of the feet that is just under the toes on the ball of the foot. This is said to be directly related to the sinuses. Apply to your chest or throat as well for relief. You can also diffuse this oilEucalyptus Essential Oil throughout the day to potentially help with airborne viruses, and to help clear your breathing.Place a drop of Eucalyptus Essential Oil in the palms of your hands and rub them together, then cup the hands over the mouth and nose and inhale slowly and deeply.
● Sinusitis – Place a drop of Eucalyptus Essential Oil in the palms of your hands and inhale deeply, or run Eucalyptus Essential Oil n a diffuser throughout the day. Use as needed. Apply to chest, throat and bottoms of feet, diluted with a carrier oil.
● Fever – Apply topically to back of the neck and down the spine, diluted with a carrier oil. Add a drop of peppermint essential oil for potentially better results.
● Muscle Fatigue – Dilute Eucalyptus Essential Oil with a carrier oil or an unscented and natural lotion and apply to areas of pain or joint discomfort. Or, gently massage it in to the area to help reduce inflammation. This may help reduce muscle pain and help ease overworked and tired muscles. You can also use a warm, damp washcloth layered over the oil as well, to help get the oils deep into the muscles for potential relief.
● Mental Sluggishness – Diffuse and inhale aromatically or place in palms of hands and inhale deeply. This may help improve the blood flow to the brain, perk you up and energize you. Layer with rosemary essential oil for even better results.
● For Emotional Balance use aromatically in diffuser or palms of the hands and inhale deeply. This will take you from feeling congested to stimulated. Repeat as needed.
● Cleaning – Eucalyptus Essential Oil has a wonderful scent as well as disinfectant and antiseptic properties.
● Pure Eucalyptus Essential Oil Disinfectant Spray Formula:
You will need:
● Add 10 – 15 drops of Pure Eucalyptus Essential Oil and 10 drops of Lemon Essential Oil to your bottle and top off with the water, shaking to mix well.
● Spray this on counter-tops, solid surfaces and any area where you may need a disinfectant.
● Wipe clean.
● Pure Eucalyptus Essential Oil Dust Mite “Cleaner”:
You will need:
● Glass spray bottle
● Distilled water
● Pure Eucalyptus Essential Oil
● Add 20 drops of eucalyptus to bottle and then fill the rest of the way with water.
● Shake to mix well and then use as a dust mite deterrent.
● To clean an area of dust mites, just spray and then wipe clean.
● You may also like this easy to make Eucalyptus Bath Bombs Recipe!
● You may also like this easy to make Make Your Own Shave Cream Recipe!
● You may also like this easy to make Eucalyptus and Lemon Scented Laundry Crystals Formula!
Note: None of this is meant as medical advice. I am not a doctor, and do not play one on the internet. Please consult a physician if you have any questions about using essential oils so your doctor can better explain to you the benefits, possible side effects, and any warnings about essential oils.
● Disclosure: the links in this post may be affiliate links.
● If you enjoyed this post, be sure to sign up for the Ann’s Entitled Life weekly newsletter, and never miss another article!