A wonderful DIY homemade laundry booster and fabric softener. This inexpensive and easy to make formula will leave your clothing bright and oh so sweet smelling!
DIY Eucalyptus and Lemon Scented Laundry Crystals
If you are interested in do it yourself, household cleaning recipes that save you money and/or may be beneficial to the health of your family, you are in luck! This recipe accomplishes both of those and is super easy to make!
This Eucalyptus and Lemon Scented Laundry Crystals is a three ingredient recipe that makes a great softening booster. I will caution that if you are trying to cut down on the toxins coming in to your home, make certain the essential oils you buy are not just store bought types, because even though they are labeled “100% pure essential oils”, what that means is that the oils they put in the bottle were pure, but they may have added perfumes and fillers. If you are using essential oils for scent rather than any purported health benefits, they will work great. Nearly all essential oils are great for long-lasting scent. If you are looking for health benefits, however, be sure to read the essential oil bottle closely for full disclosure of ingredients.
The Eucalyptus Essential Oil in these scented laundry crystals are a great scent that pairs well with lemon, and may help with sinuses (clearing) and seasonal discomfort.
The Lemon Essential Oil is cleansing, marries so well with the eucalyptus but also is cleaning your laundry at the same time.
Another great thing about utilizing this recipe is that you can change up the scent any time you make a new batch, so it is fun to play with different types of essential oil combinations. You are not limited to any one type off essential oils provided you use Epsom salts and some oils.
Please remember to always test the fabrics in a small spot before using an essential oil on a larger area. And do check for allergies. Sometimes an essential oil just doesn’t work for everyone.
Eucalyptus and Lemon Scented Laundry Crystals Materials:
● Glass bottle with lid for storage (I would make sure it’s at least a 16 oz. bottle, but even a large mason jar will work nicely.)
● Mixing bowl
● Epsom Salt
● 20+ drops Pure Eucalyptus Essential Oil
● 15+ drops Pure Lemon Essential Oil
● Label (optional)
● Twine (optional)
Eucalyptus and Lemon Scented Laundry Crystals Directions:
● Because many people will upcycle their glass jars and everyone saves different sizes, (the large milk bottle ones used in this tutorial did not have a size listed), you may first need to fill the bottle about 2/3 full of the Epsom salt. If you know your bottle’s size, then you can skip this step and simply pour 2/3 of your bottle’s weight worth of Epsom salts into a mixing bowl. (So if you know your bottle is 16oz, simply pour 10-11 ounces of Epsom salts in a mixing bowl.)
● Whisk together well.
● Pour the prepared Epsom salt into your jar.
● Fill the rest of the jar with the Epsom salt (leave a small space for oils and shaking).
● Add 10 more drops of eucalyptus essential Oil and 5 more drops of lemon essential oil
● Cap, and shake very, very well.
● You will have to gauge the amount of drops you still need to add to your jar based on the jar size. Once you have added all the drops of essential oil to your jar and shaken well, smell the Eucalyptus and Lemon Scented Laundry Crystals and see how strong the scent is. Then if you feel the Eucalyptus and Lemon Scented Laundry Crystals could use more scent, add a few more drops at a time. Keep in mind though that after the jar closed the scent will distribute really well to all the salts too. If you do not want an overpowering scent, you may opt for less essential oils rather than more.
● Just be certain to turn the Eucalyptus and Lemon Scented Laundry Crystals sideways, up, down and all around with the lid on (basically do the hokey pokey with that bottle) and shake really well to get the essential oils mixed in. If you see the Eucalyptus and Lemon Scented Laundry Crystals are clumped, continue shaking.
● Now you can add your label, and tie it to the bottle with twine. While not a necessary step, if you have many different homemade laundry detergent, boosters and fabric softeners, knowing exactly what is in the bottle will be beneficial.
These make a great gift, and people love them so make an extra when you make yours and gift it to someone!
To Use the Eucalyptus and Lemon Scented Laundry Crystals:
● At the beginning of your wash cycle, sprinkle a cap full around the top of the clothes. This is a great booster and fabric softener.
● You may be interested in this post as well: Essential Oils Laundry Guide
Note: None of this is meant as medical advice. I am not a doctor, and do not play one on the internet. Please consult a physician if you have any questions about using essential oils so your doctor can better explain to you the benefits, possible side effects, and any warnings about essential oils.
● Disclosure the links in this post may be affiliate links.
● Enjoy this post? Sign up for the Ann’s Entitled Life FREE Weekly Newsletter to stay connected.