Looking for a terrific salsa recipe that is a bit unusual? Try this fabulous zesty kiwi jalapeño salsa. Simple to make, this terrific kiwi jalapeño salsa recipe comes together in minutes. Perfect for parties, game-day, or just when you want a snack, this wonderful kiwi fruit salsa is one you will want to serve frequently!
Zesty Kiwi Jalapeño Salsa Recipe
Hubby and I traveled to New Zealand earlier this year, and got to visit some kiwi groves.
There are several different types of kiwi fruit: the green that we are most familiar with, the gold kiwi fruit which is rarer and more expensive, and then some new kiwi fruits are being developed such as a red kiwi that tastes a bit berry-ish.
The green kiwis are most plentiful, grown to export and the “best” are indeed shipped overseas. Yup, this is a cash crop so they want to maximize profits by sending overseas.
Needless to say, once I saw how these delicious little fruits were grown, I wanted to make some recipes featuring kiwi fruit! Note that kiwi harvest time in New Zealand is March through May, kiwi harvest time in the northern hemisphere is September through November. When the kiwi fruit are actually harvested will, of course, depend on the weather where they are grown.
Tips for making this Zesty Kiwi Jalapeño Salsa Recipe:
● 1-pound of Kiwi fruit is approximately six kiwi
● Depending on the tartness of the kiwis you can adjust the amount of sugar in the recipe. This particular kiwi was moderately tart. If you happen to get really sweet ones, you might not need any sugar.
● Mint really goes well with almost any fruit. Just a tiny bit of mint makes the fruity a bit fruiter. You can leave it out if you are not a fan or do not have any mint on hand. But please do not substitute dried mint. It will ruin the salsa.
● Cilantro brings in a freshness to the salad and pairs well with most fruits. If you are not a fan you can substitute fresh basil or thyme or more mint. Parsley does not work well with this kind of fruity salsa.
● You can also serve the kiwi salsa over pan-seared fish and grilled pork chops.
Zesty Kiwi Jalapeño Salsa Recipe Ingredients:
● 1lb of Kiwi Fruit
● ½ cup Red Onions
● 2 large Jalapeño
● 1 TBSP Fresh Mint Leaves, chopped
● ¼ cup fresh Cilantro, chopped
● 1 TBSP Sugar
● ½ tsp Salt
● Juice of 1 large lime
Zesty Kiwi Jalapeño Salsa Mise en Place:
Zesty Kiwi Jalapeño Salsa Recipe Instructions:
1. Peel and dice 1-pound of kiwi fruit (approximately 6 kiwis).
2. Finely chop your red onion until you have ½ cup.
3. Remove the seeds and membrane from 2 large jalapeño peppers, and then chop.
4. Chop mint leaves to equal one tablespoon.
5. Chop cilantro to equal ¼ cup.
6. In a large bowl, combine the diced kiwis, red onions, and jalapenos.
7. Add the chopped mint leaves, cilantro, sugar, salt and juice of one lime.
8. Toss to combine.
9. Serve with tortilla chips.
- 1lb of Kiwi Fruit
- ½ cup Red Onions
- 2 large Jalapeño
- 1 TBSP Fresh Mint Leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh Cilantro, chopped
- 1 TBSP Sugar
- ½ tsp Salt
- Juice of 1 large Lime
- Peel and dice 1-pound of kiwi fruit (approximately 6 kiwis).
- Finely chop your red onion until you have ½ cup.
- Remove the seeds and membrane from 2 large jalapeño peppers, and then chop.
- Chop mint leaves to equal one tablespoon.
- Chop cilantro to equal ¼ cup.
- In a large bowl, combine the diced kiwis, red onions, and jalapenos.
- Add the chopped mint leaves, cilantro, sugar, salt, and juice of one lime.
- Toss to combine.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Le Creuset of America PG9102S4-1616 Soup Bowls (Set of 4), 22 oz/6.25", White
V VANCASSO Porcelain Bowls Set for Salad Soup Cereal Rice Snack Dinnerware Bowl Set 4-Piece 6oz Porcelain China Ceramic - Blue
Gibson Elite Soho Lounge Reactive Glaze 16 Piece Dinnerware Set in Blue; Includes 4 Dinner Plates; 4 Dessert Plates, 4 Bowls and 4 Mugs
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 134Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 333mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 5gSugar: 22gProtein: 2g
Note: for exact nutritional information, consult your dietitian. All nutritional information provided is simply a guideline.
● If you enjoyed this post, be sure to sign up for the Ann’s Entitled Life weekly newsletter, and never miss another article!