Easy DIY Flag Wreath
Make your own no sew Flag Wreath using these easy step by step instructions. This cute patriotic decor is perfect for Memorial Day, Independence Day, or any day! Simple and inexpensive to make, this Easy DIY Flag Wreath will add a marvelous touch of whimsy to you holiday decor.
If you are looking for an easy wreath craft to hang this summer for the holiday, give this patriotic wreath a try! It is no sew, simple to do, and goes very quickly. As long as you paint your stars right after you cut your material (or even before) to allow for dry time, you can have this entire wreath done in a little over an hour!
Please note this was done on a 10″ wreath, and I tried to explain the amount of fabric you will need to do this project in a coherent manner under materials (see below). I can’t know the exact width of material you should purchase as bolt lengths vary, and amount will depend upon the length. You may have to do math if you don’t want a lot of extra material (oh no!). I erred on the side of excess (better too much than too little on a craft project).
Make sure your fabric has weight and is stiff (unless you do this in tulle), so the ends will stick out instead of flop.
Easy DIY Flag Wreath Materials:
• 10″ Foam Wreath Form
• 2 feet solid Blue Fabric (The fabric will be cut to 24″ lengths x 1 ½” thickness. Fabric on a bolt can run 35″ to 108″ lengths. If your fabric is 50″, you would need half the amount listed, assuming no mistakes in cutting.)
• 1 yard solid Red Fabric (The fabric will be cut to 24″ lengths x 1 ½” thickness. Fabric on a bolt can run 35″ to 108″ lengths. If your fabric is 50″, you would need half the amount listed, assuming no mistakes in cutting.)
• 1 yard solid White Fabric (The fabric will be cut to 24″ lengths x 1 ½” thickness. Fabric on a bolt can run 35″ to 108″ lengths. If your fabric is 50″, you would need half the amount listed, assuming no mistakes in cutting.)
• 3 Wooden Craft Stars
• White Craft Paint
• Small Paint Brush
• Glue Gun
• Glue Sticks
Easy DIY Flag Wreath Directions:
• Note about fabric: Try to use at least a cotton fabric so that the tails will “stick out” when tied onto your wreath. A flimsy fabric won’t lay correctly on the wreath. You can also cut your fabric as short as 20″ but it’s much easier to tie when it’s 24″ in length.
• The 1-1/2″ measurement is approximately. Some of the pieces used in this tutorial were 2″ wide.
• If you use a larger form, you will need more fabric.
• Cut your material into the following lengths and pieces:
• 16 blue pieces of fabric, cut to 24″ x 1-½”
• 24 red pieces of fabric, cut to 24″ x 1-½”
• 24 white pieces of fabric, cut to 24″ x 1-½”
• Paint 3 wooden craft stars white. Allow to dry completely.
• Wrap 16 pieces of blue fabric around the wreath form by tying a slip knot. Simply Fold the piece of material in half top to bottom so that you make a loop and put it around the wreath body with the loop side down. Pull the other end down through the loop and pull it tight.
• Press each tied blue piece together as you go.
• Stop when you have 1/4 of the wreath form covered.
• Flip over the wreath form and pull up on each piece of fabric, moving the knot forward and tightening it as you go.
• Trim the ends of the fabric if desired (the ends were trimmed for uniformity in this craft tutorial).
• Adhere your three painted, 3 white stars on to the blue fabric section of your wreath with hot glue.
• Add a piece of string or hanging device to the back to hang.
• Hang where desired.
If you are looking for more American flag crafts to make for Memorial Day, Independence Day or some other patriotic holiday, here are several you may like:
• Wooden American Flag DIY Craft – This rustic American flag craft project is simple to make. Large enough for outdoor use, this rustic American flag craft can also be used inside the house.
• Flag Wineglass DIY – Make your own unique patriotic flag wineglasses! This easy step by step tutorial will show you how to easily make “American flag” wineglass decor which are perfect for a centerpiece, mantel decor or table decorations.
• DIY Decoupage American Flag Sign – It is a cute way to add Americana decor and get crafty all at once.
• Disclosure: the links in this post may be affiliate links.
• If you enjoyed this post, be sure to sign up for the Ann’s Entitled Life weekly newsletter, and never miss another article!