An easy-to-make cream cheese blueberry pie recipe. This delicious classic blueberry pie combines fresh blueberries and wholesome dairy cream for a truly luscious dessert!
Blueberry Pie Recipe
You can never go wrong with a classic dessert like this homemade blueberry pie recipe. This recipe sports a decadently rich blueberry filling inside a simple homemade pie crust. This is one of my family’s favorite summer desserts, and the best blueberry pie recipe I have ever tasted. I hope your family and friends will love it just as much.
If you are looking for an easy-to-make, delicious, and oh-so-sweet blueberry pie, look no further!! I made this again last week after forgetting just how wonderful it is, and wow was I glad I did! It truly is simple to make, and delicious. The leftovers hold up quite well in the refrigerator too – it takes Hubby and me 3-4 days (depending on if he has pie for “breakfast”) to go through a pie, and this blueberry pie held up really well!
I have some very fond memories of picking juicy blueberries as a kid and even as an adult, along with blackberries, strawberries, apples, pumpkins, and more! I am sure many of us have those kinds of memories since they are a popular summer and fall activity in general. Well, at least they were for me and my family! I still love using those fresh blueberries to this day to make Blueberry Cobbler, Wholesome Blueberry Banana Oat Bars Recipe, or Blueberry Pie Filling.
When it comes down to it, nothing beats a good old-fashioned, simple Blueberry Pie. It always hits the spot and takes little effort to be exceptionally delicious. This delicious blueberry pie is perfect for dessert or to take to a picnic or gathering. I guarantee if you make and take this simple blueberry pie recipe to your next friends and family event, it will be gone in minutes! That is a bittersweet thought since that means they loved it, but then there’s no more for you, ha! Whatever you are making it for, one thing’s for sure, there will be smiles that follow.
This is not a baked blueberry pie. There is not a double-crust pie; there is no top crust, there is only a bottom crust. This is, however, an easy blueberry pie to make. I have been making this pie recipe for over 40 years and it is one of my favorite recipes. I consider it a classic pie recipe. If you enjoy a fresh fruit pie in the summer but do not want to bake pie and heat up the house, this is the best blueberry pie recipe you will find! Nothing tastes better with a cup of coffee or a glass of milk than a piece of fresh blueberry pie. Make this pie when you have an abundance of fresh blueberries. You will be glad you did.
How to Make Blueberry Pie
1. Make the crust – Whip up a pie shell using this Easy Pie Crust Dough Recipe and have it ready.
2. Make the cream layer – In a bowl, beat together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Fold in half of the whipped cream at a time by hand. Press it into an even layer at the bottom of the prepared crust.
3. Make the blueberry filling – In a pan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, water, and lemon juice. Whisk well. Add in the blueberries. Let the mixture simmer until thickened.
4. Chill – Cool the blueberry mixture to room temperature before adding it in and even layer to the pie dish. Chill overnight, serve, and enjoy!
Tips and variations for making this blueberry pie recipe
● I use Philadelphia cream cheese when I make this recipe. You can use any name brand or generic brand cream cheese you like.
● Some people place a baking sheet under the pie crust for easy oven removal.
● You may buy prepackaged store-bought pie crust or make this easy pie crust recipe; it is the perfect pie crust recipe for this delicious pie.
● Cinnamon pairs well with blueberries. For a different taste, add a teaspoon of cinnamon to your cream cheese filling.
● Add a different fruit – for example, strawberries, blackberries, cherries, etc.
● This pie can be made with other fresh berries such as blackberries or raspberries instead of blueberries.
● Serve this blueberry pie as is. If you would like to add some whipped cream as you serve the individual slices, that is a great addition. Some people prefer a side scoop of vanilla ice cream. Whatever you choose, it is all good!
● Storage – Store, covered with plastic wrap, in the fridge for up to 4 days. Do not store outside the fridge due to the cream cheese layer.
● Reheating – do not reheat. This cream cheese blueberry pie recipe is served cold.
Common Questions About Homemade Blueberry Pie
Why is My Blueberry Pie Runny?
Blueberry pie can be runny if there was too much moisture within the filling. This often happens because there were no holes poked in the top of the pie for steam release. My recipe doesn’t call for a top, so that makes it even easier. Sometimes, the blueberries can be extra juicy as well. This can be combated by adding a bit of cornstarch to the blueberries beforehand. Not using frozen blueberries will help with this issue as well.
Do You Have to Thaw Blueberries Before Making a Pie?
You technically do not have to thaw frozen blueberries before using them in a pie. However, you will possibly, and most likely, run into a couple of issues if you don’t defrost the blueberries before making a pie. You will get more shrinking as the blueberries bake which can end up with a sunken in the center in a traditional blueberry pie. You will also end up with more liquid in the pie filling, which could potentially give you a soggy crust or watery pie. It is smart to add cornstarch to the mix when using frozen blueberries. In general, it’s just better and easier to not use them while frozen.
Do You Eat baked Blueberry Pie Hot or Cold?
You can eat it however your heart desires, I just would not suggest eating it raw. A cold slice of blueberry pie can hit the spot for breakfast or brunch. This specific recipe actually calls for it to be chilled, although you can warm it if desired. This recipe I prefer chilled, but in other recipes without cream cheese layers I prefer hot. You will have to try it both ways to see how you prefer it.
Blueberry Pie Recipe Ingredients:
● 1 9″ Deep Dish Pie Crust, cooked and cooled
● 8 oz Cream Cheese, softened
● ½ cup Confectionery Sugar
● ¼ tsp Vanilla
● 1 cup heavy Whipping Cream, whipped
● 2/3 cup Sugar
● ¼ cup Corn Starch
● ½ cup Water
● 2 TBSP Lemon Juice
● 4 cups Fresh Blueberries
Blueberry Pie Mise en Place:
Blueberry Pie Recipe Directions:
1. Place pie crust in a 9″ deep-dish pie plate. Bake and cool.
2. Combine cream cheese, confectionery sugar, and vanilla in a mixing bowl, beat until smooth.
3. Fold in by hand half of the prepared whipped cream until smooth, then add the rest of the whipped cream and fold until smooth.
4. Spread into the bottom of your cooked pie crust.
5. In a large saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, water, and lemon juice. Whisk until smooth.
6. Add the blueberries to the saucepan mixture and bring the blueberry mixture to a simmer over medium heat, stir until thickened.
7. Cool blueberry mixture to room temperature.
8. Spread the cooled blueberry mixture over the cream cheese mixture in the pie crust.
9. Refrigerate pie overnight before serving.
10. Refrigerate all leftovers.
- 1 9″ Deep Dish Pie Crust, cooked and cooled
- 8 oz Cream Cheese, softened
- ½ cup Confectionery Sugar
- ¼ tsp Vanilla
- 1 cup heavy Whipping Cream, whipped
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- ¼ cup Corn Starch
- ½ cup Water
- 2 TBSP Lemon Juice
- 4 cups Fresh Blueberries
- Place pie crust in a 9" deep-dish pie plate. Bake and cool.
- Combine cream cheese, confectionery sugar, and vanilla in a mixing bowl, beat until smooth.
- Fold in by hand half of the prepared whipped cream until smooth, then add the rest of the whipped cream and fold until smooth.
- Spread into the bottom of your cooked pie crust.
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, water, and lemon juice. Whisk until smooth.
- Add the blueberries to the saucepan mixture and bring the blueberry mixture to a simmer over medium heat, stir until thickened.
- Cool the blueberry mixture to room temperature.
- Spread the cooled blueberry mixture over the cream cheese mixture in the pie crust.
- Refrigerate pie overnight before serving.
- Refrigerate all leftovers.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
KOOV Ceramic Pie Dish, 9 Inches Pie Pan, Pie Plate for Dessert Kitchen, Round Ceramic Baking Dish Pan for Dinner, Gradient Series (Gradient Red)
Pyrex corelle 1085800 "Pyrex Easy Grab" Glass Pie Plate - 9.5" (Pack of 2)
Kingsbull Pie Pan Porcelain Pie Dish Pie Plate Ceramic Deep Dish Pie Pan Non-Stick Pie Pans
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1556Total Fat: 93gSaturated Fat: 33gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 53gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 993mgCarbohydrates: 165gFiber: 7gSugar: 39gProtein: 17g
Note: for exact nutritional information, consult your dietitian. All nutritional information provided is simply a guideline.
● If you enjoyed this post, be sure to sign up for the Ann’s Entitled Life weekly newsletter, and never miss another article!