Growing marigolds offers all sorts of benefits to you and your garden, so they should be considered when planning your yearly landscape. Look below at the 7 reasons you should grow marigolds this year and see why these colorful flowers are a must have for any yard.
Marigold Flowers: 7 Reasons You Should Grow Marigolds This Year
Marigolds seem to have lost their popularity over the last few years, but the truth is these colorful little blooms are just as important now as they were ever. I want you to consider why you may want to add these colorful little flowers back into your landscape (or plant container!) rotation.
There are many different types of Marigolds. Some marigolds have flat head flowers, some look like pompom balls – there are colors ranging from yellow to orange to red to white; there is a marigold variety that is just right for you and your gardening needs!
1. Marigolds can repel certain garden pests
Planting marigolds around your garden border is said to keep rabbits out. Plant a few extra marigolds around any plants rabbits might be prone to sniffing out, such as lettuce, and see if the plants help create a barrier.
2. Marigolds attract bumble bees
While marigolds repel rabbits, their bright colors and sweet scent attracts bumble bees. Because bees are important pollinators, giving them flowers such as marigolds helps keep them full and energized.
3. Marigolds also attract butterflies
Another important pollinator that marigolds attract are butterflies. They will be attracted to the bright colors and perhaps try to stop and take a sip. Add marigolds to your yard to attract butterflies, which are always fun to watch in action.
4. Marigolds are inexpensive to grow
You can buy marigolds for just a few cents per seedling, making them an inexpensive plant to grow. You can typically get an entire flat for around $10, so you really get some bang for your buck. If you like a bargain, marigolds are the way to go.
5. Marigolds require little care once planted
Once you plant the marigolds in well draining, nutrient rich soil, they are pretty easy to grow. They like weekly waterings and the occasional sip of liquid plant food. Otherwise, just give them lots of sun and they will be happy.
6. If you deadhead Marigolds regularly they will grow all season
If you take care to remove dead foliage and blooms, these beauties will continue to grow and put on a show all season. Removing the dead blooms is key, so as long as you do that you shouldn’t have any issues with regrowth. Check on your marigolds every few days and see if any blooms need to be removed. That way you can ensure new growth takes place.
7. Marigolds are edible
Did you know you can eat marigolds? They can be added to salads and are adored for their spicy flavor. If you enjoy cooking with flowers, marigolds are a great way to add to your arsenal. It seems as though colors and varieties vary in taste, so you may need to try a few different flowers until you find a flavor that you like. In general, they offer a peppery flavor and one that is quite strong. You can dry marigolds for later culinary use too!
As you can see there are many reasons to grow marigolds. If you are questioning why you should include marigolds in your garden or containers this year, this these benefits sound be considered! Marigolds offer a lot of benefits!
If you would like more information on great flowers to plant in your garden, check out these posts:
• Impatiens Flowers: Tips for Growing Impatiens – Impatiens are the perfect plant for those limited on space, sun, and time. They are one of the most forgiving plants you can grow, and can quickly add a pop to color to even the smallest of growing spaces. If you are curious about growing impatiens, look below at some helpful growing tips. You will find that these tips for growing impatiens can help you achieve the yard of your dreams!
• Why Your Garden Needs Nasturtiums – Check out the many benefits on why your garden and containers can benefit from planting and growing nasturtiums this gardening season!
• 10 Tips for Growing Daylilies – If you are a gardener on a budget, daylilies are one of the best plants you can grow. A small investment in daylilies will give you blooms for many years to come, and these quick growing plants can fill your yard up fast. Daylilies are fairly simple to grow too. Look below at some helpful tips for growing daylilies, and see why this is a plant you should add to your yard this year!
• Disclosure the links in this post may be affiliate links.
• Enjoy this post? Sign up for the Ann’s Entitled Life FREE Weekly Newsletter to stay connected.