This hearty beef barley soup recipe is delicious and satisfying. It is filling enough to be a meal. Ground or cubed beef, carrots, onions, and celery along with an array of spices and barley make up this best tasting Beef Barley soup!
Beef Barley Soup Recipe
My grandfather loved all of Hubby’s soups, but beef barley was his favorite soup. So, hubby spent some time getting this recipe just right! It was indeed my grandfather’s favorite soup recipe.
Tips and variations for making this beef barley soup recipe:
● You can use cooked ground beef or cooked roast beef in this recipe. If you use the cooked roast beef, dice it into small pieces.
● You may substitute beef stock/broth instead of the water + beef bouillon. You may want to go with low sodium beef stock/broth or low-sodium beef bouillon (we always do).
● All spices used were dried.
● This beef barley soup recipe freezes beautifully. Just make certain you use freezer grade containers. Hubby buys them in giant packs, and we keep the extras down the basement. Our freezer sometimes looks like a frozen soup factory exploded in it. We freeze soup, stews, leftovers, garden vegetables, etc for later use all year long!
If you enjoy making homemade soup, try one of these delicious soup recipes:
Beef Barley Soup Recipe Ingredients:
● 1½ lbs Lean Ground Beef, cooked
● 2 cups Carrots, sliced
● 2 cups Onions, chopped
● 1½ cups Celery, chopped
● 1/3 cup Ketchup
● 14.5oz Diced Tomatoes, with juice
● 6 oz Tomato Paste
● 1 TBSP Worcestershire Sauce
● 4 Garlic Cloves
● 1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
● ½ tsp Thyme
● ½ tsp Basil
● 2 tsp Parsley
● 1 tsp Salt
● ½ tsp Pepper
● 1 Bay Leaf
● 6 cups Water
● 3 Beef Bouillon Cubes
● 1 cup Barley
Beef Barley Soup Mise en Place:
Beef Barley Soup Recipe Directions:
1. In a Dutch oven or large soup pot cook your beef (if it is not already cooked). Drain off excess fat, and return beef to the pot.
2. Add sliced carrots, chopped onions, chopped celery to the beef and stir to combine.
3. Add ketchup, diced tomatoes (and the juice), tomato paste, and Worcestershire sauce; stir to combine.
4. Add garlic, crushed red pepper, thyme, basil, parsley, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Stir to combine.
5. Dissolve bouillon cubes in water, and add to the mixture in the pot. Stir to combine.
6. Add the barley and stir.
7. Simmer covered 1¼ to 1½ hours.
8. Add more beef broth if the soup is too thick, add more tomato paste if the soup is too thin for your taste.
9. Serve hot.
- 1½ lbs Lean Ground Beef, cooked
- 2 cups Carrots, sliced
- 2 cups Onions, chopped
- 1½ cups Celery, chopped
- 1/3 cup Ketchup
- 14.5oz Diced Tomatoes, with juice
- 6 oz Tomato Paste
- 1 TBSP Worcestershire Sauce
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
- ½ tsp Thyme
- ½ tsp Basil
- 2 tsp Parsley
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Pepper
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 6 cups Water
- 3 Beef Bouillon Cubes
- 1 cup Barley
- In a Dutch oven or large soup pot cook your beef (if it is not already cooked). Drain off excess fat, and return beef to the pot.
- Add sliced carrots, chopped onions, chopped celery to the beef and stir to combine.
- Add ketchup, diced tomatoes (and the juice), tomato paste, and Worcestershire sauce; stir to combine.
- Add garlic, crushed red pepper, thyme, basil, parsley, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Stir to combine.
- Dissolve bouillon cubes in water, and add to the mixture in the pot. Stir to combine.
- Add the barley and stir.
- Simmer covered 1¼ to 1½ hours.
- Add more beef broth if the soup is too thick, add more tomato paste if the soup is too thin for your taste.
- Serve hot.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Annovero Cereal Bowls – Set of 6 Porcelain Bowls for Soup, Salad, Rice, or Pasta, 6.25 Inch Diameter, 23 Fluid Ounce (2.75 Cup) Capacity
Soup Crocks with Handles, Ceramic Make, Soup, Chilli, by KooK, 22oz, Set of 4 (Red)
V VANCASSO Porcelain Bowls Set for Salad Soup Cereal Rice Snack Dinnerware Bowl Set 4-Piece 6oz Porcelain China Ceramic - Blue
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 322Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 76mgSodium: 802mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 5gSugar: 15gProtein: 28g
Note: for exact nutritional information, consult your dietitian. All nutritional information provided is simply a guideline.
● If you enjoyed this post, be sure to sign up for the Ann’s Entitled Life weekly newsletter, and never miss another article!