This hot crab dip is the best party dip ever! Lump crab meat baked with Neufchatel, sour cream, mozzarella cheese, and complimentary sauces and spices combine to make the best crab dip; one that your guests will be talking about the next day.
This creamy crab dip is ready in under 30 minutes from start to finish. It is simple to make, and this easy crab dip recipe is oh so good! Truly a delicious crab dip.
Everyone has a hot crab dip recipe, and some are spicy, some are not. The “hot” in this hot crab dip refers to the temperature, not the spice level. This is a cheesy dip, but the cheese does not overwhelm the spices. You could always add a few dashes of hot sauce to spice it up a bit, but that would be a personal preference and not necessary for this recipe.
Hot Crab Dip Recipe
This is the perfect party appetizer dip to serve friends and relatives at your holiday parties. It works for Christmas Eve Wigilia (Polish) or cena della Vigilia (Italian) which is not always easy to find (meatless dinners). This would be an outstanding addition to your New Year’s Eve party, game day party, or anytime you have friends and family over.
Tips and variations for making this hot crab dip recipe.
● This recipe is made with real crab meat. There are many different types of crab meat; blue crab, jumbo lump crab meat, fresh lump crab meat, etc. It is up to you to determine what the best crab meat is for your friends and family as you, or they may have specific preferences. In this recipe, crabmeat was fresh canned (6 ounce cans). It can be found at the seafood counter at one of your local grocery stores.
● Drain the crab meat well to limit the liquid in your dip. Make certain there are no residual shell pieces as you are rinsing the crab.
● A shallow pie dish (9″ x 1½”) will work well to hold this dip if you do not have a dip casserole dish.
● Do not use a mixer or food processor for this dip. The best way to make this recipe is to use a spatula and fold the ingredients together to combine the crabmeat mixture.
● Try substituting Cheddar or Sharp Cheddar cheese for the mozzarella. Heck, you could top it with a spoonful of Parmesan cheese if you like!
● Substitute imitation crab meat and make crab rangoon dip.
● Neufchatel cheese is found next to the cream cheese in the dairy case. It sells in 8-ounce packages.
● You may want to substitute cream cheese for the Neufchatel.
● Try serving with crostini, baguettes, crackers, bread, tortilla chips, pita chips, or crispy wontons, or fresh vegetables such as celery or carrot sticks.
● If you would like to keep this dip hot for a long period of time, transfer it to a small slow cooker and keep the setting on warm, or set the dish on top of a warmer.
● If you have leftover crab dip (doubtful), store the remains in the refrigerator in an airtight container, and reheat the leftovers or use it as a cold crab dip.
● Do not freeze.
If you enjoy hot dips, you may want to try these:
Hot Crab Dip Ingredients:
● 10 ounces Lump Crab, drained and rinsed
● 1 Tablespoon green onions, finely chopped
● 8 ounces Neufchatel Cheese, softened
● 1 Tablespoon Sour Cream
● 2 teaspoons Soy Sauce
● Juice of ½ lemon
● ¼ cup diced Pimentos, drained
● ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
● ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
● 1 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese, divided
Hot Crab Dip Mise en Place:
Hot Crab Dip Directions:
1. Heat the oven to 350°F.
2. Grease a small baking dish, approximately 4″x8″. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the first lump crab, green onions, Neufchatel Cheese, sour cream, soy sauce, fresh lemon juice, pimentos, garlic powder, and black pepper, along with ½ cup of mozzarella cheese. Mix well by folding until well combined.
4. Transfer to the prepared baking dish. Top with the remaining mozzarella cheese.
5. Bake 20-25 minutes until cheese has completely melted and the dip is bubbly.
6. Serve hot with crackers, bread, or fresh vegetable sticks or slices.
- 10 ounces Lump Crab, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tablespoon green onions, finely chopped
- 8 ounces Neufchatel Cheese, softened
- 1 Tablespoon Sour Cream
- 2 teaspoons Soy Sauce
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ¼ cup diced Pimentos, drained
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese, divided
- Heat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease a small baking dish, approximately 4"x8" (4 cups). Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the first lump crab, green onions, Neufchatel Cheese, sour cream, soy sauce, fresh lemon juice, pimentos, garlic powder, and black pepper, along with ½ cup of mozzarella cheese. Mix well by folding until well combined.
- Transfer to the prepared baking dish. Top with the remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake 20-25 minutes in a preheated 350°F oven until cheese has completely melted and the dip is bubbly.
- Serve hot with crackers, bread, or fresh vegetable sticks or slices.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Rachael Ray Solid Glaze Ceramics Au Gratin Bakeware / Baker Set, Oval - 2 Piece, Teal
FE Small Baking Dish, Individual Au Gratin Pan 8 inch, Oval Casserole Dish Oven to Table, Rome Pillar Ceramic Bakeware for Daily Use (Ivory White)
AQUIVER 20oz Small Ceramic Baking Dish – 7.5'' x 5.6'' Rectangular Porcelain Matte Individual Bakeware for Vegetable, Lasagna, Casserole, Chicken, Brownies - Set of 3 (3 colors)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 211Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 84mgSodium: 534mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 0gSugar: 7gProtein: 16g
Note: for exact nutritional information, consult your dietitian. All nutritional information provided is simply a guideline.
● If you enjoyed this post, be sure to sign up for the Ann’s Entitled Life weekly newsletter, and never miss another article!