You cannot go wrong with a classic dish like this instant pot macaroni and cheese recipe! Switch up your traditional way of making mac and cheese and forget the boxed version and make it with your Instant Pot instead. Full of gooey cheddar cheese, soft macaroni, and just the right spices, this dish is unforgettably delicious.
Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
Is there anything better than a nice, big, comforting bowl of mac and cheese? All that gooey cheese coating soft macaroni is pure bliss. When made in the Instant Pot, it is even quicker, and the flavor is incomparable. My favorite part is the bread crumb topping. It is like the cherry on the top of the cake. The perfect addition to an already delicious recipe. It adds an extra texture of crunch in addition to the soft cheese and pasta.
The best part about mac and cheese is that if you are not eating it as your main entree, it pairs so well with countless main dishes. I cannot think of a meat it does not pair well with; from chicken to steak, from pork chops to haddock, macaroni and cheese is a perfect complementary side dish.
How to Make Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese
1. Prep – Saute garlic and olive in the IP. Stir in onion powder, dry mustard, and broth.
2. Add pasta – Stir in the macaroni. Set to high pressure and cook for 8 minutes. Allow to naturally release for 15 minutes.
3. Make the cheese mixture – Melt the butter and mix into panko crumbs. Add the milk and cheese, stir well.
4. Broil – Line a dish with foil and spread the macaroni in the bottom. Spread the crumb mixture evenly over the top. Broil for a couple of minutes.
5. Serve – Garnish with some fresh herbs if desired, serve, and enjoy!
Tips and variations for making this Instant Pot macaroni and cheese recipe
● Read the directions on your Instant Pot.
● Follow the directions on your Instant Pot!
● Add broccoli or cauliflower – Add pre-cooked broccoli or cauliflower to the recipe for a different flavor and texture.
● Make it spicy – Add freshly chopped jalapenos, diced jalapenos, or some crushed red pepper to the dish to give it a kick.
● Use more cheeses – If you want to experiment, you can try other types of cheese. Some great options would be mozzarella, Parmesan, gouda, blue cheese, goat cheese, etc.
● Use Ritz crackers on the top – Instead of butter bread crumbs, use crushed ritzs or butter crackers. You can use similar crackers like Chicken n a Biscuit, Saltines, etc.
● Add cream cheese – If you want a super creamy Instant Pot macaroni and cheese recipe, add some cream cheese to the cheese mixture. It has such a strongly creamy taste and texture. It will slightly change the flavor profile, so try it and see if you like it.
● Add Rotel – If you would like to put a Mexican twist on your cheesy side dish, add in a can of Rotel. Add this to the cheese mixture before baking. It’s amazing!
● Storage – Place in an airtight container and store in the fridge. I do not suggest freezing this dish as the pasta doesn’t reheat well afterward.
● Reheating – Reheat using the microwave.
Common Questions About Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese
How Do You Keep Macaroni and Cheese Creamy?
Using milk in place of water during the entire preparation process is one of the best ways to keep your macaroni and cheese creamy. Always use plenty of butter and cheese in your mixture as well. Do not overcook your dish either as that will dry it out.
How Do You Make Macaroni and Cheese Creamy the Next Day?
The trick to getting dried out mac & cheese soft and creamy again is adding milk. Put a little bit of milk in the bottom of a bowl, add a portion of the leftover mac and cheese, then heat it slowly. Be sure to cover the mac and cheese with a microwave dome. Sonny-boy started using one in college, told us about it, and we have used one ever since (Hubby hates a dirty microwave). You want that steam from the heated liquid to absorb into the food.
Is it OK To Make Mac and Cheese Ahead of Time?
You can definitely make this dish ahead of time, but it is not the same as serving it right out of the oven when the cheese is warm and gooey.
If you like Instant Pot recipes, here are a few more for you to enjoy:
Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese Recipe Ingredients:
● 2 TBSP Olive Oil
● 2 TBSP Chopped Garlic
● 2 cups Vegetable Broth
● 1 TBSP Dry Mustard
● 1 TBSP Onion Powder
● 16 oz Macaroni Pasta
● 14 oz Evaporated Milk
● 2 cups grated Cheddar Cheese
● 1.5 cups grated Gouda Cheese
● 1.5 cups Asiago Cheese
● Salt, to taste
● Pepper, to taste
● 2 TBSP Butter
● 1.5 cups Panko Bread Crumbs
Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese Mise en Place:
Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese Directions:
1. Set Instant Pot to sauté.
2. Add olive oil and garlic. Cook 1-2 minutes.
3. Add vegetable broth, dry mustard, and onion powder. Whisk everything together.
4. Stir in macaroni and set Instant Pot to high pressure for 8 minutes. After the time is up, allow to release pressure naturally for 15 minutes. Release remaining pressure and take off lid.
5. Add evaporated milk and stir in the cheeses. Salt and Pepper to taste. If you wish to serve now, you can.
6. Melt butter in the microwave and add to the bowl of panko crumbs. Mix together well.
7. Set oven broiler to high and line a baking sheet pan (with sides) with foil. Spread macaroni and cheese onto a baking sheet. Sprinkle the panko crumbs over the macaroni. Place in oven until crumbs just begin to brown, about 1-2 minutes.
8. Serve hot.
- 2 TBSP Olive Oil
- 2 TBSP Chopped Garlic
- 2 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 TBSP Dry Mustard
- 1 TBSP Onion Powder
- 16 oz Macaroni Pasta
- 14 oz Evaporated Milk
- 2 cups grated Cheddar Cheese
- 1½ cups grated Gouda Cheese
- 1½ cups Asiago Cheese
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 2 TBSP Butter
- 1½ cups Panko Bread Crumbs
- Set Instant Pot to sauté.
- Add olive oil and garlic. Cook 1-2 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, dry mustard, and onion powder. Whisk everything together.
- Stir in macaroni and set Instant Pot to high pressure for 8 minutes. After the time is up, allow to release pressure naturally for 15 minutes. Release the remaining pressure and take off the lid.
- Add evaporated milk and stir in the cheeses. Salt and Pepper to taste. If you wish to serve now, you can.
- Melt butter in the microwave and add to the bowl of panko crumbs. Mix together well.
- Set oven broiler to high and line a baking sheet pan (with sides) with foil. Spread macaroni and cheese onto the baking sheet. Sprinkle the panko crumbs over the macaroni. Place in oven until crumbs just begin to brown, about 1-2 minutes.
- Serve hot.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Annovero Dessert Bowls – Set of 6 Small Porcelain Bowls for Snacks, Rice, Condiments, Side Dishes, or Ice Cream, 4.75 Inch Diameter, 10 Fluid Ounce (1.25 Cup) Capacity
Souffle Dish Ramekins for Baking – 48 Oz, 1.5 Quart Large Ceramic Oven Safe Round Fluted Bowl with Mini Condiment Spoon for Soufflé Pot Pie Casserole Pasta Roasted Vegetables Baked Desserts (Yellow)
Mixing Bowls with Airtight Lids, Blingco Stainless Steel Metal Nesting Bowls Set of 5, Size 5, 3, 2, 1.5, 0.63 QT, 3 Grater Attachments, Measurement Marks & Colorful Non-Slip Bottoms
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 744Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 113mgSodium: 1370mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 3gSugar: 11gProtein: 36g
Note: for exact nutritional information, consult your dietitian. All nutritional information provided is simply a guideline.
● If you enjoyed this post, be sure to sign up for the Ann’s Entitled Life weekly newsletter, and never miss another article!