5 Essential Oils That Are Good for Your Hair
Healthy, strong and vibrant hair is the goal of every man and woman, but with all the products, styling and heat applications we use on them, our locks often suffer. Essential oils are a great solution to so many hair problems, and are just generally a great way to care for and clean hair. Both herbal and other types of pressed oil do a great job of stripping chemicals from hair, strengthen brittle locks and improving the look and feel of each and every strand.
If you are looking for something new to help improve your own hair, try one these 5 essential oils. Read about the different hair benefits, and make a decision that is right for your hair type!
Before using any essential oil that will come in contact with your skin, do a test for sensitivity.
• Dry hair may become brittle and lose its luster. Not the most attractive look. Rosemary Essential Oil applied to your hair several times per week may help improve the condition of hair, adding moisture and helping to lock it in.
• Rosemary is a wonderful cleaning agent. It is also a great hair growth stimulant, so in addition to improving the condition of your hair, your locks will get thicker.
• Peppermint is a great oil for unclogging pores and ducts. When the glands on your head are overproducing oil, the result can be matted, greasy looking hair. Peppermint Essential Oil can help! This oil will cut down amount of grease produced and help bring balance to your scalp, while cutting through the oil that is already in your hair. Because of the soothing qualities of Peppermint Essential Oil an irritated scalp may benefit from the regular use of this oil.
• Peppermint Essential Oil may also help in the reduction of dandruff and any itching sensation.
• 10 Reasons To Use Peppermint Oil
• Brittle, damaged, over processed hair can lead to split ends. Once split, hair cannot heal itself. Try adding Lavender Essential Oil to your regular hair care regimen to smooth damaged hair. Generally speaking, Lavender Essential Oil usually works well with all skin types – oil to dry.
• Lavender Essential Oil is thought to stimulate hair follicles which promotes new growth.
• Tea tree oil is an antifungal that helps treat scalp problems. Apply to scalp to soothe itchiness. Use tea tree oil with a carrier oil (such as coconut oil or sweet almond). I like this tea tree scalp recipe.
• Many people use tea tree oil as lice repellent! Add 2-3 drops to your shampoo to keep these critters away.
• If you get lice, it helps get rid of it. Purchase pure tea tree oil and use 2-4 drops combined with 2-4 drops of pure lavender oil. Next, add a quarter sized squirt of shampoo, and a few drops of olive or coconut oil. Work the shampoo mixture into the hair paying extra attention to the scalp area, as that is where most of the nits and lice will be. Cover the hair with a shower cap and leave the treatment in for 30 minutes. Wash. Apply conditioner, but do not rinse. Use a lice comb to remove the nits. Repeat daily for 7 days to make certain you have gotten all the lice eggs.
• Uses for Tea Tree Oil
• If your hair is lackluster and in need of a healthy, non-greasy shine, bergamot essential oil is a great remedy. Bergamot is moisturizing, and when combined with a carrier oil, restores shine to hair!
Note: One thing to note about using any citrus essential oils is that they can cause skin sensitivity in some people, so after using them, you should not be exposed to direct sunlight for several hours following use.
What essential oils do you uses for to keep your hair healthy and beautiful?
Some related articles you might enjoy:
Note: None of this is meant as medical advice. I am not a doctor, and do not play one on the internet. Please consult a physician if you have any questions about using essential oils so your doctor can better explain to you the benefits, possible side effects, and any warnings about essential oils.
• Disclosure the links in this post may be affiliate links.
• If you enjoyed this post, be sure to sign up for the Ann’s Entitled Life weekly newsletter, and never miss another article!