If you are tired of commercial grout cleaners that contain chemicals you cannot pronounce, why not make your own grout cleaner? For just a few pennies, you can DIY a grout cleaner that really works! This simple formula made from common pantry items is easy to make when using this detailed step by step tutorial. Your grout never looked so good!
DIY Grout Cleaner
Got cruddy grout? I think we all have dirty grout somewhere in the house. Chemicals, steam cleaning – they all work, some methods better than others. But if you don’t want to go the chemical route and don’t have time for the steam cleaning and its iffy results, why not make your own grout cleaner?
Making your own grout cleaner is simple to do. It requires the formula below, an old toothbrush, and a towel. This is a method that is especially good for kitchen counter-tops or wherever your food may come in contact with grout lines.
We have grout lines in our kitchen counter-top and island as they were fabricated with slate-look porcelain tile. While we didn’t renovate our kitchen, the people we bought the house from did the deed (we have before and after photos), and we loved what they did!! The only thing I would have done differently is I would have had a solid finish surface on the island. But, apparently, I didn’t care that much as I have yet to change it 10+ years later!
Anyhooooo the grout lines can become quite nasty if you have not used 2-part epoxy grout and added color to basically eliminate grout cleaning, try this simple formula the next time your grout lines need to be cleaned. (Hubby uses the 2-part epoxy grout and added color in the rentals so he doesn’t have to deal with dirty grout. It is not easy to use, however, and takes some skill and speed when tiling.)
DIY Grout Cleaner Utensils
DIY Grout Cleaner Ingredients
DIY Grout Cleaner Directions
● Add a cup of water to your small bowl.
● Mix in the baking soda.
● Now mix in the lemon juice and vinegar (a slight bubbling reaction will occur).
● Now dip your toothbrush into your mixture and begin scrubbing your grout lines.
● Have a towel or rag on hand to soak up the dirty water.
● Repeat as necessary.
● That is all there is to it!
● Take before and after pictures, you’ll be shocked at how dirty your grout lines used to be.
- 1 cup Warm Water
- 2 TBSP Baking Soda
- 2 TBSP White Vinegar
- 2 TBSP Lemon Juice
- Small Bowl
- Measuring Cup
- Measuring Spoons
- Mixing Spoon
- Towel or Rag
1. Add a cup of water to your small bowl.
2. Mix in the baking soda.
3. Now mix in the lemon juice and vinegar (a slight bubbling reaction will occur).
4. Now dip your toothbrush into your mixture and begin scrubbing your grout lines.
5. Have a towel or rag on hand to soak up the dirty water.
6. Repeat as necessary.
7. That is all there is to it!
8. Take before and after pictures, you will be shocked at how dirty your grout lines used to be.
I had to write in an active time. Clearly, this will take as long as it takes to make your grout clean.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
WDF Silver Plastic Plates with Plastic Forks-6” 100 Square Disposable Dessert Plates with Silver Rim&100 Silver Tasting Forks
Roscher White Porcelain Serving Platter Set w/ Mesh Pattern (2-Pack) Small and Large Kitchen and Dining Decorative Plates and Room Decor | Classic Farmhouse Style (Mesh)
GAC Elegant Designed Square Tempered Glass Dessert Plates Set of 4 – Break and Chip Resistant - Oven Proof - Microwave Safe - Dishwasher Safe 6 Inch
If you are looking for more cleaning tips (tricks, hacks, whatever word you would like to use), check out these posts:
● If you enjoyed this post, be sure to sign up for the Ann’s Entitled Life weekly newsletter, and never miss another article!