Make a classic flavor of the holidays even better by preparing and serving this Candy Cane Cheesecake recipe for your friends and family! It has a cool, minty taste paired with a creamy cheesecake base. Topped off with chocolate drizzle and pieces of candy cane, this candy cane cheesecake has a picture-perfect presentation.
Candy Cane Cheesecake Recipe
Nothing screams the holidays like the flavor of candy canes or peppermint. A quick look at my holiday themed posts and you will see it is one of my favorite tastes and decor for the holidays. For example, you could start the day by making this Candy Cane Wreath, then relax for a bit with this Candy Cane Cocktail. You could then end the night with this Boozy Candy Cane Shake or my Candy Cane Brownies or Peppermint Icebox Cake (both would be fine too, wink wink).
Of course, then you could spend the next day prepping tasty cookie trays or gifts for friends and family. I love throwing in these Candy Cane Cookies, Homemade Peppermint Patties, or my decadent White Chocolate Peppermint Bark.
I did mention I love candy cane and peppermint themes, right?
However you decide to spend your holiday, make a note to try this creamy and delicious Candy Cane Cheesecake. It is an unforgettable addition to the festivities.
How to Make Candy Cane Cheesecake
1. Prep – Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a springform pan.
2. Make the crust – Cream together the butter and powdered sugar. Slowly incorporate the flour and mix into a crumbly dough. Press into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes.
3. Prep again – Lower the oven to 300 degrees and melt the chocolate using the microwave in 20-second bursts. Let cool.
4. Make the filling – Beat the cream cheese. Add the flour, extract, and sugar. Beat on low for a couple of minutes. Add in the eggs one at a time, mixing fully as you do. Fold in the melted chocolate. Fold in the candy cane pieces.
5. Bake – Pour the filling into the pan and wrap it with tin foil. Place the pan in a rimmed dish and fill the dish so that it covers half of the springform pan. Bake for 90 minutes.
6. Chill – Let cool to room temperature then place in the fridge for at least 8 hours.
7. Decorate – Melt the chocolate chips and drizzle over the top of the candy cane cheesecake. Sprinkle with the crushed candy cane pieces. Slice, serve, and enjoy!
Tips and variations for making this candy cane cheesecake recipe:
● For my UK and Australian friends: confectioners’ sugar is 10x, icing, or powdered sugar.
● Storage – Store in a covered container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 months. Do not store outside the fridge.
● Reheating – Do not reheat. If pulling from the freezer, simply let stand for about 30-60 minutes before serving.
● Do not overbeat the cheesecake filling, especially the eggs. Overbeating can cause cracks, a sunken in center, or possibly drying out the cheesecake dessert.
● Crust substitutes – You can always do a classic graham cracker crust if preferred. Other options are cookies, vanilla wafers, etc.
● Peppermint flavor substitute – if you do not care for a lot of peppermint or candy cane flavor, you can always swap the peppermint extract with vanilla extract. You can also change the toppings if you like.
● Make it red – Add a few drops of red food coloring to your cheesecake filling to make it a more festive color. You could also do green if desired and make it a Grinch themed cheesecake. Use gel food coloring to get a more vibrant red or food coloring for a more pinkish hue.
Common Questions About Candy Cane Cheesecake
Can You Use a Glass Pan for Cheesecake?
Yes, you can definitely use a glass pan to make your cheesecake. However, it is important to note that some preparation steps might be altered with the use of a glass pan. Further, the outcome will not be exactly like a springform pan. The use of a glass pan will result in cheesecake bars.
What Makes a Cheesecake Crack?
If you overcook a cheesecake, this can cause it to crack, since it dries it out. A cheesecake should be jiggly in the center when being removed from the oven. The cooling steps will finish firming it up properly.
You can also cause a cheesecake to crack by overmixing it, especially the eggs. This puts excess air into the batter, causing the cheesecake to rise quickly and then fall quickly upon cooling down. This may cause severe cracking. Although the cheesecake will still taste fabulous, it will not look very pretty.
Should My Cheesecake be Jiggly?
If you are just pulling a cheesecake out of the oven, then yes, your cheesecake should be jiggly. However, after the cooling steps, your cheesecake should no longer be jiggly. If it is, the cheesecake was not cooked properly or was made too thin. You can attempt cooking it again and then re-chilling, but it probably will turn out cracked and a little odd, texture-wise.
Candy Cane Cheesecake Recipe Ingredients:
Cheesecake Crust Ingredients:
● 1½ cups All-purpose Flour
● ½ cup Unsalted Butter, softened
● ½ cup Confectioners Sugar
Cheesecake Filling Ingredients:
● ½ cup White Chocolate Chips
● 16 oz Cream Cheese, softened
● ¾ cup White Sugar
● 2 TBSP All-purpose Flour
● ½ tsp Peppermint Extract
● 2 large Eggs
● ½ cup crushed Candy Canes or Peppermint Candies
Cheesecake Topping Ingredients:
● ¼ cup Dark Chocolate Chips
● 2 TBSP roughly crushed Candy Canes or Peppermint Candies
● Whipped Cream, optional
Candy Cane Cheesecake Mise en Place:
Candy Cane Cheesecake Recipe Directions:
Cheesecake Crust Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 9-inch springform pan.
2. Using a stand mixer, cream the softened butter and powdered sugar until pale and fluffy.
3. Slowly incorporate the flour, a little at a time, until it forms a crumbly dough.
4. Press the shortbread dough onto the bottom of the prepared spring-form pan.
5. Bake for 20 minutes in a preheated 350°F oven or until edges of crust are golden brown. Let the crust cool to room temperature.
Cheesecake Filling Directions:
6. Reduce the heat of the oven to 300°F.
7. Melt the white chocolate chips with a teaspoon of vegetable oil, in a microwave, in bursts of 20 seconds. Let it cool slightly.
8. In a large bowl, beat the softened cream cheese until smooth and fluffy.
9. Add the white sugar, flour, and the peppermint extract and beat on low for 2 minutes, until the ingredients are incorporated.
10. Next, add the eggs, one at a time, and beat on low until all the eggs are incorporated. Do not overbeat.
11. Add the melted white cholate and fold it in.
12. Finally, add the ½ cup of crushed candy cane and mix it in by hand.
13. Pour the cheesecake filling into the prepared, cooled crust.
14. Wrap the outside of the springform pan tightly with foil.
15. Place the spring-form pan inside a rimmed baking pan.
16. Pour hot water into the baking pan until it reaches halfway to the springform pan.
17. Bake for 90 minutes in a preheated 300°F oven.
18. Remove the candy cane cheesecake from the oven and let it cool to room temperature.
19. Chill the candy cane cheesecake in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours.
Cheesecake Topping Directions:
20. Before serving, melt the dark cholate chips in the microwave in burst of 20 seconds.
21. Drizzle the melted chocolate all over the chilled candy cane cheesecake in a random pattern.
22. Immediately sprinkle with the crushed candy cane.
23. Cut into wedges and serve with whipped cream, optional.
- Cheesecake Crust Ingredients:
- 1½ cups All-purpose Flour
- ½ cup Unsalted Butter, softened
- ½ cup Confectioners Sugar
- Cheesecake Filling Ingredients:
- ½ cup White Chocolate Chips
- 16oz Cream Cheese, softened
- ¾ cup White Sugar
- 2 TBSP All-purpose Flour
- ½ tsp Peppermint Extract
- 2 large Eggs
- ½ cup crushed Candy Canes or Peppermint Candies
- Cheesecake Topping Ingredients:
- ¼ cup Dark Chocolate Chips
- 2 TBSP roughly crushed Candy Canes or Peppermint Candies
- Whipped Cream, optional
- Cheesecake Crust Directions:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 9-inch springform pan.
- Using a stand mixer, cream the softened butter and powdered sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Slowly incorporate the flour, a little at a time, until it forms a crumbly dough.
- Press the shortbread dough onto the bottom of the prepared springform pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes in a preheated 350°F oven or until the edges of the crust are golden brown. Let the crust cool to room temperature.
- Cheesecake Filling Directions:
- Reduce the heat of the oven to 300°F.
- Melt the white chocolate chips with a teaspoon of vegetable oil, in a microwave, in bursts of 20 seconds. Let it cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, beat the softened cream cheese until smooth and fluffy.
- Add the white sugar, flour, and peppermint extract and beat on low for 2 minutes, until the ingredients are incorporated.
- Next, add the eggs, one at a time, and beat on low until all the eggs are incorporated. Do not overbeat.
- Add the melted white cholate and fold it in.
- Finally, add the ½ cup of crushed candy cane and mix it in by hand.
- Pour the cheesecake filling into the prepared, cooled crust.
- Wrap the outside of the springform pan tightly with foil.
- Place the spring-form pan inside a rimmed baking pan.
- Pour hot water into the baking pan until it reaches halfway to the springform pan.
- Bake for 90 minutes in a preheated 300°F oven.
- Remove the candy cane cheesecake from the oven and let it cool to room temperature.
- Chill the candy cane cheesecake in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours.
- Cheesecake Topping Directions:
- Before serving, melt the dark cholate chips in the microwave in bursts of 20 seconds.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate all over the chilled candy cane cheesecake in a random pattern.
- Immediately sprinkle with the crushed candy cane.
- Cut into wedges and serve with whipped cream, optional.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
GetSet2Save Vintage Galvanized 3 Tier Serving Tray Rustic Country Farmhouse Kitchen, one size, Silver
FEOOWV 2pcs 3-Tier Round +Square Cake Stand Party Food Server Display Stand with 3pcs Rectangle Plastic Serving Trays for Wedding Birthday Party (A-Set of 5pcs)
3 Tier Server Stand with Trays & Bowls - Tiered Serving Platter - Perfect for Cake, Dessert, Shrimp, Appetizers & More
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 550Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 109mgSodium: 281mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 1gSugar: 39gProtein: 8g
Note: for exact nutritional information, consult your dietitian. All nutritional information provided is simply a guideline.
● If you enjoyed this post, be sure to sign up for the Ann’s Entitled Life weekly newsletter, and never miss another article!