Grandma’s old-fashioned Creamy Cucumber Salad Recipe. Super easy to make, this is a delicious blend of cucumbers and onions in a sweet, creamy sauce is the perfect cucumber salad recipe!
Creamy Cucumber Salad Recipe
You may have called this old-fashioned creamy cucumber salad a cucumber onion salad, or perhaps simply cucumber salad when growing up. I am pretty certain we always called it by the creamy cucumber salad name growing up. This was served at every picnic, and backyard BBQ when I was I was a youngster.
I had wanted to make this for quite some time (years ago), and just had not done so. When Hubby saw it, he was skeptical; it really does not look like much of anything. After one bite, he was hooked! When we finished the first round, he kept asking me to make this creamy cucumber salad recipe again (and again, and again)! It truly is delicious.
Tips for making this creamy cucumber salad recipe
● Not only is this an easy cucumber salad recipe to make, but it also keeps a long, time when covered in the fridge. When the cucumbers are all eaten, you will have quite a bit of juice leftover. Add more sliced cucumbers (and onions) to that existing juice-mix and marinate again!
● I keep this in a covered bowl and use make great use of my homegrown cucumbers (I swear I am the cucumber-growing-queen). Early in the season, I will start with a store-bought cuke, or an English cucumber (no seeds).
● I wrote six servings but it is really eight to 10 servings depending on appetite.
● This creamy cucumber salad recipe is no-bake, but it does require time to marinate. You can make it the night before, or early the morning of when you plan to serve.
● We use a mandoline for uniform slicing, but a cutting board and knife also work!
Creamy Cucumber Salad Ingredients:
● 4 large Cucumbers
● 1 medium Sweet Onion
● 1 cup Mayonnaise
● ½ cup White Sugar
● ¼ cup White Vinegar
● Salt and Pepper to taste
Creamy Cucumber Salad Mise en Place:
Creamy Cucumber Salad Directions:
● Wash, peel and thinly slice 4 large cucumbers. Use a mandoline for uniformity.
● Peel and thinly slice 1 medium sweet onion.
● Place the sliced cucumbers and onions in a ceramic, glass or plastic bowl that has a lid.
● In a small bowl combine mayonnaise, sugar and vinegar. Mix until smooth.
● Turn the mayonnaise mixture into the cucumber and onion mixture, combine well.
● Salt and pepper to taste.
● Cover with a lid, shake lightly.
● Allow to marinate in the refrigerator for a minimum of 6 hours (overnight works well).
● Refrigerate leftovers.
- 4 large Cucumbers
- 1 medium Sweet Onion
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- ½ cup White Sugar
- ¼ cup White Vinegar
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
1. Wash, peel and thinly slice four large cucumbers. Use a mandoline for uniformity.
2. Peel and thinly slice one medium sweet onion.
3. Place the sliced cucumbers and onions in a ceramic, glass or plastic bowl that has a lid.
4. In a small bowl combine mayonnaise, sugar and vinegar. Mix until smooth.
5. Turn the mayonnaise mixture into the cucumber and onion mixture, combine well.
6. Salt and pepper to taste.
7. Cover the bowl with a lid, shake lightly.
8. Allow to marinate in the refrigerator for a minimum of 6 hours (overnight works well).
9. Refrigerate leftovers.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Souffle Dish Ramekins for Baking – 48 Oz, 1.5 Quart Large Ceramic Oven Safe Round Fluted Bowl with Mini Condiment Spoon for Soufflé Pot Pie Casserole Pasta Roasted Vegetables Baked Desserts (Yellow)
Mixing Bowls with Airtight Lids, Blingco Stainless Steel Metal Nesting Bowls Set of 5, Size 5, 3, 2, 1.5, 0.63 QT, 3 Grater Attachments, Measurement Marks & Colorful Non-Slip Bottoms
Nordic Ware 69518 Covered Bowl Set, 8-pc, Set of 8, Coastal Colors
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 362Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 338mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 2gSugar: 23gProtein: 2g
Note: for exact nutritional information, consult your dietitian. All nutritional information provided is simply a guideline.
If you would like to try more fresh summer salads, you may like these:
● Cucumber Caprese Salad – Hubby came up with this cucumber caprese salad recipe years ago. It is fresh, easy to make, and totally delicious. It is one of the most popular recipes on my blog.
● Cantaloupe Prosciutto Mozzarella Salad Recipe – Just 15 minutes from refrigerator to table for this refreshing and tasty Cantaloupe Prosciutto Mozzarella Salad recipe! Excellent as a dish dish or lunch time meal.
● Four Color Caprese Salad Recipe – a riff off Hubby’s cucumber caprese salad recipe.
● If you enjoyed this post, be sure to sign up for the Ann’s Entitled Life weekly newsletter, and never miss another article!