A beautiful and delicious take on a traditional Caprese Salad, this Cucumber Caprese Salad Recipe is a perfect side dish with steak, burgers, turkey legs, barbecue chicken, and more! Easy to make, this Cucumber Caprese Salad recipe is loaded with sweet, fresh vegetables. Try it today!
Cucumber Caprese Salad Recipe
Hubby came up with this idea years ago using the bounty that came from our CSA. It is a simple recipe that is easy to put together. It is an awesome use of fresh vegetables, great any time of year!!
We make this all. the. time. I make it at least twice per week in the summer as we usually have a load of fresh cukes, fresh tomatoes, fresh oregano, and fresh basil growing in my garden. I just make certain I chop up the fresh basil fine and substitute it for the dry basil in the recipe.
We also make this fairly regularly in the winter as cucumbers are reasonably priced, and there is always some sort of tomato on sale. While I like cherry tomatoes best in this recipe, I will cut up beefsteak, hothouse, Roma, etc into small bite-sized pieces and use them – especially when on sale!
Tips for making Cucumber Caprese Salad Recipe:
● Do not be afraid to change the quantities of anything. Like balsamic vinegar? Add more! Like cucumbers? Add more. This recipe is very forgiving and I play with the quantities and ratios constantly.
● Sometimes a dash of salt to taste once served really hits the spot. Hubby adds salt to his serving most of the time, which I seldom do. As always, it is a matter of taste.
● This past year I froze my harvested basil and used it over the winter and spring in out cucumber Caprese salads. I also substitute fresh basil in the summer.
● Hubby says to scrape a fork over the peeled cucumber to get out the bitterness. He learned this from his mother. While he’s never been completely convinced this is true, aesthetically it does look very nice.
● Have a big crowd? This recipe doubles and triples beautifully. Just be aware of your container size for mixing.
● This will keep well for a few days in the fridge. About day three the mozzarella starts to get really soft, so try not to let it go past them.
If you are looking for a great summer side dish you might want to try this old fashioned creamy cucumber salad or perhaps this bok choy and snow peas sauté!
Cucumber Caprese Salad Ingredients:
● 2 TBSP Olive Oil
● 1 TBSP Balsamic Vinegar
● 1 TBSP Dried Oregano
● 1 TBSP Dried Basil
● Dash Salt
● Dash Pepper
● 1 Cucumber Peeled, Skin Scraped w/Fork and Sliced Thin and Diced
● 1½ cups Cherry Tomatoes quartered
● 8oz Fresh Mozzarella
● ½ Large Red Onion Diced
Cucumber Caprese Salad Mise en Place:
● Small Bowl
● Medium Bowl
● Cutting Board
● Measuring Cup
● Measuring Spoons
Cucumber Caprese Salad Directions:
● In a small bowl mix together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, dried oregano, dried basil and a dash of salt and pepper; set aside.
● Peel washed cucumber, scrap the skin with a fork up and down a few times. Slice thin and dice. Add to a medium sized bowl.
● Quarter washed cherry tomatoes. Add to the bowl with the cucumbers.
● Thinly slice and dice your red onion (if you do not like onion, feel free to omit it from the recipe). Add to bowl with cucumbers and tomatoes.
● Slice mozzarella into bite-sized pieces (or use pearl-sized mozzarella balls). Add to bowl with cucumbers, tomatoes and red onion.
● Pour marinade over vegetables and cheese; mix well.
● Allow it to sit for 10 minutes before serving.
● Makes 4 servings of Cucumber Caprese Salad
Cucumber Caprese Salad
A beautiful and delicious take on a traditional Caprese Salad, this Cucumber Caprese Salad Recipe is a perfect side dish with steak, burgers, turkey legs, barbecue chicken and more! Easy to make, this Cucumber Caprese Salad recipe is loaded with sweet, fresh vegetables. Try it today!
- 2 TBSP Olive Oil
- 1 TBSP Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 TBSP Dried Oregano
- 1 TBSP Dried Basil
- Dash Salt
- Dash Pepper
- 1 Cucumber Peeled, Skin Scraped w/Fork and Sliced Thin and Diced
- 1½ cups Cherry Tomatoes quartered
- 8oz Fresh Mozzarella
- ½ Large Red Onion Diced
- In a small bowl mix together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, dried oregano, dried basil and a dash of salt and pepper; set aside.
- Peel washed cucumber, scrap the skin with a fork up and down a few times. Slice thin and dice. Add to a medium sized bowl.
- Quarter washed cherry tomatoes. Add to the bowl with the cucumbers.
- Thinly slice and dice your red onion (of you do not like onion, feel free to omit from the recipe). Add to bowl with cucumbers and tomatoes.
- Slice mozzarella into bite sized pieces (or use pearl sized mozzarella balls). Add to bowl with cucumbers, tomatoes and red onion.
- Pour marinade over vegetables and cheese; mix well.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Microwave-Safe Bowl Sets- Wheat Straw Bowls 4 Pack 6.8 inch Large Size Unbreakable Degradable Bowl Reusable Eco Friendly Cereal Bowls for Soup,Dessert and Salad - Easy Dishwasher Safe（Green）
Mixing Bowls with Airtight Lids, Blingco Stainless Steel Metal Nesting Bowls Set of 5, Size 5, 3, 2, 1.5, 0.63 QT, 3 Grater Attachments, Measurement Marks & Colorful Non-Slip Bottoms
Nordic Ware 69518 Covered Bowl Set, 8-pc, Set of 8, Coastal Colors
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 231Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 334mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 12g
● For more Recipes on Ann’s Entitled Life, click here.
● If you enjoyed this post, be sure to sign up for the Ann’s Entitled Life weekly newsletter, and never miss another article!
I love Caprese Salad.. This sounds good! I’ll have to give it a try…
Hi! I’m visiting from Oh! My Heartsie Reviews Sunday linkup! This recipe looks and sounds yummy! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
Stephanie B says
I have been searching for a good different Vegan recipe to serve at a party and I have finally found it!! Do you think I could add spinach to this to bulk it up?
Stephanie I am not sure. It might make it mushy. Try it without it, and if you dislike it, add the spinach before serving.
…or start with a bed of spinach on each serving plate and use this to top the spinach 👍
This looks and sounds perfect for this 4th of July!
Shannon@Belle Bleu Interiors says
This looks absolutely delicious. I’m going to make this. I love cucumbers, and this would make the perfect Summer side dish. Thanks for sharing!!!
Mouth watering. My girls have recently discovered blsimic vinegar is GOOD! We love this said already and t hink we’ll lvoe it more wiht the addtion of the balsamic! Happy 4th! Linda from The Essence of Home link party.
Jamie Kempf says
I added garbanzo beans to this salad and it added another nice texture and flavor to the salad. I think next time I may hold back a little on the oregano and basil, or use fresh herbs. The spices coated the salad a little too much for my taste. Other than that, this dish was still delicious!
Glad you liked it, Jamie. We made it again this past weekend (cukes and tomatoes are coming in!) using white onions and a tad more balsamic vinegar. It really is a delicious, simple summer salad.
This is so amazing! I made it tonight and first of all, it’s inexpensive. Secondly, flavorful. And thirdly, it could be a staple in my house it’s so fun and easy to make, great recipe!
I’ve always wanted to try Caprese Salad & I love cucumbers – thanks for the recipe! Thank you for linking up to this weeks Creative K Kids’ Tasty Tuesday – I can’t wait to see what you share with us next week!
Made this cucumber/caprese salad it was refreshing and flavorful will make it again very soon
I love this salad. I like tart, so I added a dash more vinegar, but I had too many spices the first time. I’ll definitely do this again!
I have to correct that. I added too many herbs. 😝
This looks so colourful, bright, and appetizing. I am trying to eat low carb so this is perfect for lunch. Pinned.
Looks so yummy & refreshing! Sharing! Thank you for sharing on Merry Monday! Hope to see ya next week!
Cherryl Ehlenburg says
I love salads like this! I am pinning for later!