If you like seafood, you are going to love this fabulous, spicy, easy-to-make creamy seafood soup recipe! Loaded with shrimp and scallops, this seafood soup can be served by itself, or over rice, for a delicious dinner starter or lunchtime meal.
Have leftover seafood? Make this fabulous creamy seafood soup recipe. You can make a double batch serving some now, and freezing the rest for later!
Creamy Seafood Soup Recipe
Seafood soup recipes are easier to make than you might think. They are also less expensive to make than getting two bowls of seafood soup at a restaurant. This delicious seafood soup recipe is a wonderful addition to your recipe file. While it may have a lot of ingredients, it does not have a lot of process steps, and the end result is fantastic! This really is one of the best seafood recipes you can make.
Tips and variations for making this Creamy Seafood Soup Recipe
● In the ingredients I have listed one cup Sweet Bell Peppers OR Cherry Peppers OR Jalapenos Peppers diced small. You can mix and match; 1/3 of a cup of each, ½ of two out of three, or one cup of only one of the three. I will say that a mixture makes for a beautiful soup. If you are serving at a dinner party, you may want to make the prettier version. I do not consider this a special occasion soup, although it is certainly a good soup to make for friends and family.
● Use bay scallops to keep down costs, and to keep things bite-sized without the work of cutting up sea scallops.
● If you are using larger shrimp, you may want to cut it up into bite-sized pieces.
● Make certain to dice all your vegetables small.
● This is Wondra. If you do not have Wondra, you can use flour but it will change the taste.
● The finished creamy seafood soup can be served in a bowl on its own, or add some rice to the bowl and spoon the seafood soup over the rice. You might wish to garnish with fresh parsley, fresh thyme, black pepper, fresh dill, or any other spice or fresh garnish that adds great flavor and compliments fresh seafood and good soup. Great additions to a soup or meal are all about the flavor profiles you enjoy!
● This recipe may be doubled. Just make sure your Dutch oven is large enough to hold everything. A 6-7 cup Dutch oven is fine to make this recipe as written. If you do not have a Dutch oven or want to make a double or triple batch, use a large soup pot!
● Serve with oyster crackers, crusty bread, garlic bread, or make these homemade yeast rolls to accompany this delicious soup.
● Ingredients for this recipe are commonly found at your local grocer.
● This creamy seafood soup recipe freezes beautifully. Just make certain you use freezer grade containers. Hubby buys them in giant packs, and we keep the extras down the basement. Our freezer sometimes looks like a frozen soup factory exploded in it. We freeze soup, stews, leftovers, garden vegetables, etc for later use all year long!
Other easy recipes for soup you might enjoy:
● Save your shrimp shells to make my seafood stock recipe. Lobster shells also work well! This is a great way to use crustation shell trash.
Creamy Seafood Soup Recipe Ingredients:
● ½ lb medium Raw Shrimp, peeled
● ½ lb Scallops (bay)
● 2 TBSP Butter, divided
● 1 cup Celery, diced small
● 1 cup Sweet Bell Peppers OR Cherry Peppers OR Jalapeño Peppers, diced small
● 1 cup Onion, diced small
● ¼ cup Wondra
● 2 cups Heavy Cream
● 2 cups Milk
● ¼ cup Dry White Wine
● 1 tsp Sodium Free Chicken Bouillon
● 1 tsp Dried Thyme
● ¼ tsp Nutmeg
● 2 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
● Cayenne Powder to taste (to ¼ tsp)
Creamy Seafood Soup Recipe Mise en Place:
Creamy Seafood Soup Recipe Directions:
1. In a Dutch oven, melt 1 tablespoon of butter.
2. Sauté shrimp and scallops in the melted butter until shrimp turn pink. Remove seafood from the Dutch oven and set aside.
3. Using the same Dutch oven, melt one tablespoon of butter, sauté one cup of diced celery, one cup of diced peppers (bell, cherry, or jalapeños, mix and match, but one cup total), and one cup of diced onions, until tender.
4. Sprinkle the vegetables with Wondra, and stir until blended.
5. Add two cups of heavy cream, two cups of milk, ¼ cup of dry white wine, one teaspoon of dry sodium-free chicken bouillon, one teaspoon of dried thyme, ¼ teaspoon of nutmeg, two teaspoons of old bay seasoning, and some cayenne powder (to taste, no more than ¼ teaspoon), to the vegetables in the Dutch oven. Cook for 2 minutes, until thickened.
6. Add the sautéed seafood to the Dutch oven, heat thoroughly.
7. Serve hot.
8. Optional: serve over rice.
9. Store in an airtight container.
- ½ lb medium Raw Shrimp, peeled
- ½ lb Scallops (bay)
- 2 TBSP Butter, divided
- 1 cup Celery, diced small
- 1 cup Sweet Bell Peppers OR Cherry Peppers OR Jalapeño Peppers, diced small
- 1 cup Onion, diced small
- ¼ cup Wondra
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- 2 cups Milk
- ¼ cup Dry White Wine
- 1 tsp Sodium Free Chicken Bouillon
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg
- 2 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
- Cayenne Powder to taste (to ¼ tsp)
- In a Dutch oven, melt 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Sauté shrimp and scallops in the melted butter until shrimp turn pink. Remove seafood from the Dutch oven and set aside.
- Using the same Dutch oven, melt one tablespoon of butter, sauté one cup of diced celery, one cup of diced peppers (bell, cherry, or jalapeños, mix and match, but one cup total), and one cup of diced onions, until tender.
- Sprinkle the vegetables with Wondra, stir until blended.
- Add two cups of heavy cream, two cups of milk, ¼ cup of dry white wine, one teaspoon of dry sodium-free chicken bouillon, one teaspoon of dried thyme, ¼ teaspoon of nutmeg, two teaspoons of old bay seasoning, and some cayenne powder (to taste, no more than ¼ teaspoon), to the vegetables in the Dutch oven. Cook for 2 minutes, until thickened.
- Add the sautéed seafood to the Dutch oven, heat thoroughly.
- Serve hot.
- Optional: serve over rice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Le Creuset of America PG9102S4-1616 Soup Bowls (Set of 4), 22 oz/6.25", White
Sweese 106.002 Porcelain Fluted Bowl Set - 26 Ounce for Cereal, Soup - Set of 6, Hot Assorted Colors
V VANCASSO Porcelain Bowls Set for Salad Soup Cereal Rice Snack Dinnerware Bowl Set 4-Piece 6oz Porcelain China Ceramic - Blue
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 457Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 170mgSodium: 870mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 19g
Note: for exact nutritional information, consult your dietitian. All nutritional information provided is simply a guideline.
● If you enjoyed this post, be sure to sign up for the Ann’s Entitled Life weekly newsletter, and never miss another article!