This delicious no egg vegetable frittata is a terrific breakfast casserole recipe the entire family will enjoy. Meatless and wheatless, without tofu or eggs, this simple-to-make frittata dish can easily be made vegan with one simple substitution.
This healthy baked egg-less frittata recipe is made with mushrooms, tomatoes, and onions as the main ingredients of this veggie frittata. The addition of Parmesan cheese really pulls it all together, although you can substitute a different cheese if you like.
Easy Egg-Free Vegetable Frittata Recipe
This is a healthy recipe that can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, or even served as a side dish. It is a fast preparation, so great option for an easy dinner to make when you have little time to be in the kitchen.
There are different ways to make an egg-less frittata that usually involve egg replacements or tofu. This recipe uses neither. The “egg mixture” is chickpea flour, water, and almond milk to make this egg free frittata recipe.
A frittata is an Italian egg dish that can be baked in a skillet. The term loosely means “fried.” Many people now bake frittatas in the oven. This is a no-egg frittata which is a great way to eat a nutritional breakfast dish for people who are cutting back on eggs, or do not enjoy an egg substitute. This is the perfect addition to your family’s healthy breakfast (or dinner) recipe files.
Tips and variations for making this Easy Egg-Free Vegetable Frittata Recipe:
● Add some color to your egg-free frittata with colorful veggies such as red onion or colored cherry tomatoes (red, yellow, and orange).
● If you buy minced garlic in the jar, 1 tablespoon = 3 garlic cloves
● You will need a 8″ non-stick skillet which can go in the oven too (oven-safe skillet). A cast iron skillet or other oven-proof skillet would work. You can also use a 9 x 5 inch baking dish if you don’t have a pan which can go in the oven.
● When in Italy, we were taught that extra virgin olive oil is for salad, regular olive oil is for cooking. If you only have extra virgin olive oil, use it, but as it is more expensive, save it for salads, not cooking if you have a choice.
● When frying the mushrooms in olive oil, use a medium or medium-high heat, not a low heat. You’ll be there all night waiting for them to cook.
● If you do not like almond milk, substitute another type of milk such as soy milk, or other dairy-free milk. You can use whole milk instead of almond milk. Just recognize that the recipe flavor will change.
● You can substitute black salt for white salt.
● You can substitute white pepper for black pepper.
● You can use a red onion, white onion, or sweet onion to make this recipe.
● If you prefer to substitute green onions for the onion listed, recognize that it has a completely different taste and adjust accordingly.
● If you do not have portobello mushrooms, substitute baby bella mushrooms.
● To make this into a vegan frittata recipe, omit the Parmesan cheese.
● If you do not like cilantro (it isn’t everyone’s favorite herb) try fresh basil, oregano, or any other fresh herbs you might like.
● This recipe is made with simple ingredients commonly found in your local grocery store.
Other breakfast recipes you might enjoy:
Easy Egg-Free Vegetable Frittata Recipe Ingredients:
● 1½ cups Chickpea Flour
● 1 teaspoon Salt
● 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
● 1 teaspoon Turmeric, ground
● 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper, ground
● ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
● 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme
● 1 cup Water
● ½ cup Almond Milk
● ¼ cup Onion, sliced
● 3 Garlic Cloves, chopped
● ¼ cup Cilantro, chopped
● 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
● 1¼ cups Portobello Mushrooms, sliced
● ¾ cup Cherry Tomatoes
● ¼ cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
Easy Egg-Free Vegetable Frittata Mise en Place:
Easy Egg-Free Vegetable Frittata Recipe Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. In a medium bowl, combine chickpea flour, salt, pepper, turmeric, cayenne pepper, baking soda, and thyme.
3. Add water and almond milk. Stir well.
4. Add half of the sliced onion, garlic, and half of the cilantro. Stir and leave off to the side.
5. On a stove top over medium heat in an 8″ diameter non-stick skillet add the olive oil and fry the mushrooms until tender. Remove the mushrooms from pan but do not clean the pan.
6. Pour chickpea flour mixture into the pan. Spread with remaining onion and one teaspoon of cilantro, the cherry tomatoes, and fried mushrooms.
7. Place into the preheated 350°F oven and bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the frittata.
8. Remove from the oven and serve immediately with fresh cilantro and Parmesan.
9. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator after making certain the leftover frittata has cooled completely.
- 1½ cups Chickpea Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric, ground
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper, ground
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1 cup Water
- ½ cup Almond Milk
- ¼ cup Onion, sliced
- 3 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- ¼ cup Cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1¼ cups Portobello Mushrooms, sliced
- ¾ cup Cherry Tomatoes
- ¼ cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, combine chickpea flour, salt, pepper, turmeric, cayenne pepper, baking soda, and thyme.
- Add water and almond milk. Stir well.
- Add half of the sliced onion, garlic, and half of the cilantro. Stir and leave off to the side.
- On a stove top over medium heat in an 8" diameter non-stick skillet add the olive oil and fry the mushrooms until tender. Remove the mushrooms from pan but do not clean the pan.
- Pour chickpea flour mixture into the pan. Spread with remaining onion and one teaspoon of cilantro, the cherry tomatoes, and fried mushrooms.
- Place into the preheated 350°F ven and bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the frittata.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately with fresh cilantro and Parmesan.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator after making certain the leftover frittata has cooled completely.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 152Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 555mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 8g
Note: for exact nutritional information, consult your dietitian. All nutritional information provided is simply a guideline.
● If you enjoyed this post, be sure to sign up for the Ann’s Entitled Life weekly newsletter, and never miss another article!