A delicious, extra cheesy take on traditional mac and cheese, this Italian Macaroni and Cheese recipe will have your entire family asking for seconds. This is simply an outstanding homemade baked macaroni and cheese recipe.
Italian Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
Want a good, easy recipe the entire family will enjoy? Here you go. This Italian mac and cheese is an excellent lunch, side with soup, side with dinner (or as dinner itself). It is a grown-up Italian mac and cheese that the kids will love too!
If you like lots of cheese in your macaroni and cheese, this is the recipe for you! Made with an Italian flair, this creamy mac and cheese recipe is a terrific pasta dish the whole family will enjoy.
Ooey-gooey cheesy goodness in a baked mac and cheese recipe – what could be better? This classic comfort food recipe has an Italian twist. Make it as a meal, as a side dish, to serve for adults or children; it’s all good!
Tips and variations for making this Italian macaroni and cheese recipe:
● If you do not have a Dutch oven, use a large, squat pot.
● Once the macaroni and cheese is removed from the oven, sprinkle with more Parmesan cheese if desired.
● Garnish with Italian Seasoning, recommended fresh basil, hot sauce, or grated Parmesan.
● There is no meat in this recipe. Adding cooked Italian sausage or cooked ground beef is possible, but I have never done so and cannot make cook time recommendations with those added ingredients. I would suggest draining the cooked sausage and cooked ground beef to remove the fat (use a paper towel to make sure all the grease is removed). There are other added protein ideas (like ground chicken or pepperoni) I am sure you might enjoy, but the ground beef and cooked sausage seem most likely.
● Store leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
If you would like more recipes that provide an Italian flair, try these:
● Italian Ricotta Cheese Cookies Recipe
● Hearty Italian Baked Ziti Recipe
● Italian Beef Recipe
Italian Macaroni and Cheese Recipe Ingredients:
● 12 oz Elbow Macaroni
● 6 TBSP Butter
● 1/3 cup Flour
● 2½ cups Milk
● ¾ cup White Wine
● 1 tsp Ground Mustard
● 1 tsp Salt
● 1 tsp Garlic Powder
● ½ tsp Pepper
● ½ tsp Dried Oregano
● ½ tsp Dried Basil
● 12 oz Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
● 8 oz Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
● 1 cup Parmesan, shredded
● Fresh Basil for garnish
Italian Macaroni and Cheese Mise en Place:
● Dutch oven
● Measuring Cup
● Measuring Spoons
● 13×9 Baking Dish
Italian Macaroni and Cheese Recipe Directions:
1. preheat oven to 400˚.
2. In a Dutch oven, cook the macaroni until al dente and drain the macaroni in a colander.
3. Return the empty Dutch oven to the stovetop, and over low heat melt the butter.
4. Increase heat to medium, add the flour and cook 2 minutes, whisking constantly.
5. Raise the heat to medium-high and slowly whisk in the milk a ½ cup at a time. Whisk until smooth after each addition.
6. Keep whisking until it starts to simmer, continue whisking, and slowly whisk in the wine.
7. Add the ground mustard, salt, garlic powder, pepper, oregano, and basil; whisk to combine.
8. Add the cheeses a handful at a time whisking until the cheese completely melts between each addition.
9. Add the al dente macaroni and stir to combine.
10. Pour the mixture into a greased 13″x9″ pan and bake at 400˚ until bubbly and browned for approximately 15-20 minutes.
11. Serve hot garnished with chopped fresh basil.
Italian Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
Italian Macaroni and Cheese Recipe. A delicious, extra cheesy take on traditional mac and cheese, this Italian Macaroni and Cheese recipe will have your entire family asking for seconds. This is simply an outstanding homemade baked macaroni and cheese recipe.
- 12 ounces Elbow Macaroni
- 6 tablespoons Butter
- 1/3 cup All-purpose Flour
- 2 ½ cups Milk
- ¾ cup White Wine
- 1 teaspoon Ground Mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Dried Oregano
- ½ teaspoon Dried Basil
- 12 ounces Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Parmesan, shredded
- Fresh Basil for garnish
- preheat oven to 400˚.
- In a Dutch oven cook over medium heat bring water to a rolling boil and cook the macaroni according to box directions for pasta cook time until al dente and drain the macaroni in a colander.
- Return the empty Dutch oven to the stovetop, and over low heat melt the butter.
- Increase heat to medium, add the flour, and cook for 2 minutes whisking constantly.
- Raise the flame to medium-high heat and slowly whisk in the milk a ½ cup at a time. Whisk until smooth after each addition.
- Keep whisking until it starts to simmer, continue whisking, and slowly whisk in the wine.
- Add the ground mustard, salt, garlic powder, pepper, oregano, and basil; whisk to combine.
- Add the cheeses a handful at a time whisking until the cheese completely melts between each addition.
- Add the al dente macaroni and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 13″x9″ pan and bake at 400˚ until bubbly and browned for approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with chopped fresh basil.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Oven to Table Casserole Dish Set - 100% Stoneware Ceramic Baking Dishes for Cooking & Serving, Lasagna Pan Bakeware is Dishwasher & Microwave Safe - 13" x 10.5" & 11" x 9" Cookware Pans
Hompiks Baking Dish Casserole Dishes Porcelain Bakeware Sets for the Oven 11.02 x 8.35 Inch Baking Dish Set of 3 for Kitchen Lasagna Red Baking Pans
IPOW 3-Piece Ceramic Baking Dish, Value Three Pack Thick Porcelain Rectangular Oven to Table Bakeware Cookware Set Casserole Dishes Lasagna Pans for Cooking & Serving, Dishwasher Safe, Aquamarine
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 498Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 95mgSodium: 1007mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 26g
Note: for exact nutritional information, consult your dietitian. All nutritional information provided is simply a guideline.
● For more Recipes on Ann’s Entitled Life, click here.
● If you enjoyed this post, be sure to sign up for the Ann’s Entitled Life weekly newsletter, and never miss another article!
Well that looks and sounds beyond yummy Ann! I love the addition of white wine. I know that pairs wonderfully with the fresh basil! Yum!!
Btw, even when I click on “notify me for comments” after each comment. I never get notified if you respond… 🙁
Hmmm that was “fixed” last year, Didi. Thanks for letting me know. I will look into it again.
I just love new Italian recipes and this one sounds great! It has been husband approved so I pinned it! Thanks for the recipe!
CD Loken says
Oh my goodness-YUM!!! I’m definitely pinning your recipe! I’ve always struggled with homemade macaroni and cheese-but I can’t wait to try your Italian style! Thank you for sharing at The Wonderful Wednesday Blog Hop!
Stephanie | The Foodie and The Fix says
This looks and sounds SO good. LOVE Italian flavors but never had them in a mac & cheese!
Perfect comfort food for this time of year! Looks delicious!
Malia @ Small Town Girl Blog says
I love love love this recipe! I can’t wait to try it. This is so my kind of comfort food! Pinned 🙂
I couldn’t find the wine. Would this taste fine without it any ways?
Karen H. says
This sounds so yummy. I am going to also add some sweet italian sausage. I can’s wait to try it.
Sounds delicious! Is this freezer friendly?
What kind of white wine? I’m not experienced with using wine with cooking. Any information would be great. Thanks!
You can actually buy cooking wine if you don’t have anything at home to use, Jodi. Another good choice is cheap. Stay away from a really sweet wine (like a moscato or riesling). Hubby prefers a Chardonnay which can be buttery, oak-y or steel drum.
Evelyn Christensen says
Was wondering which white wine to use Chardonnay sounds great..thanks for the feedback
This recipe is a keeper! My husband thought it tasted like Alfredo Mac and Cheese. I’m very glad I used brown rice elbow noodles so I could enjoy it, too. Other than that, no substitutions were made. Next time, my family requested that we skip the oven, and enjoy from the stove-top (personal preference). Thank you so much for this delicious recipe!
I am glad you and your family enjoyed it, Stephanie. Thank you for the feedback!
Stephanie, I’m glad you suggested making it “stove top” because I would have to empty my entire oven in order to bake the recipe … or anything else that requires me to use the oven. There is not enough room in my cabinets for my pots, pans and lids, so I keep them in the oven. I recently read that one can “bake” in a crockpot and I am planning to try that sometime soon. I also just bought one of those oil free “ovens” (forgot what they are called) and supposedly I can bake in it also, plus make fried foods. Now all I need is the time to try all these gadgets out…LOL
Before adding the cheeses do you let the white sauce thicken first?
I have never heard of a 13 X 9 inch pan did you mean 9 X 13 inch , and do I cover with foil?
Sophie Black says
Linda, was that a serious question? If so, I’m raising an eyebrow at that being your initial comment.
Verona Vespira says
Are you kidding me, Linda?
This was so good! I made it for dinner tonight and loved it. I only added a splash of wine but I loved all the cheese and seasonings. I may skip the oven next time but I can’t wait to make this again. Thanks for the recipe!
Ashley Elizabeth says
Yum, Ann! Thanks for sharing with HomeMattersParty! Fun to have YOU on my comment schedule! 😉 This recipe looks divine — definitely making for supper club soon!
Linda on Poinsettia Drive says
Wow does this ever look so yummy. I gotta share this. 🙂
Now this is a recipe that I can sink my teeth into. I just love anything Italian!
That looks pretty nice, although, with my limited cooking skills, I’m not sure how well it would turn out! Would it work without the Dutch oven?
Cindy Mom, the Lunch Lady says
OMG this looks so cheesy and delicious! I’m loving the flavours and cheese combination in your homemade mac!
I love this!
Super loved this italian macaroni and cheese recipe! Tasted really good and easy to make! Thanks a bunch for sharing! Highly recommended
This recipe was a huge hit with my family. A+