A delicious, extra cheesy take on traditional mac and cheese, this Italian Macaroni and Cheese recipe will have your entire family asking for seconds. This is simply an outstanding homemade baked macaroni and cheese recipe.
Italian Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
Want a good, easy recipe the entire family will enjoy? Here you go. This Italian mac and cheese is an excellent lunch, side with soup, side with dinner (or as dinner itself). It is a grown-up Italian mac and cheese that the kids will love too!
If you like lots of cheese in your macaroni and cheese, this is the recipe for you! Made with an Italian flair, this creamy mac and cheese recipe is a terrific pasta dish the whole family will enjoy.
Ooey-gooey cheesy goodness in a baked mac and cheese recipe – what could be better? This classic comfort food recipe has an Italian twist. Make it as a meal, as a side dish, to serve for adults or children; it’s all good!
Tips and variations for making this Italian macaroni and cheese recipe:
● If you do not have a Dutch oven, use a large, squat pot.
● Once the macaroni and cheese is removed from the oven, sprinkle with more Parmesan cheese if desired.
● Garnish with Italian Seasoning, recommended fresh basil, hot sauce, or grated Parmesan.
● There is no meat in this recipe. Adding cooked Italian sausage or cooked ground beef is possible, but I have never done so and cannot make cook time recommendations with those added ingredients. I would suggest draining the cooked sausage and cooked ground beef to remove the fat (use a paper towel to make sure all the grease is removed). There are other added protein ideas (like ground chicken or pepperoni) I am sure you might enjoy, but the ground beef and cooked sausage seem most likely.
● Store leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
If you would like more recipes that provide an Italian flair, try these:
Italian Macaroni and Cheese Recipe Ingredients:
● 12 oz Elbow Macaroni
● 6 TBSP Butter
● 1/3 cup Flour
● 2½ cups Milk
● ¾ cup White Wine
● 1 tsp Ground Mustard
● 1 tsp Salt
● 1 tsp Garlic Powder
● ½ tsp Pepper
● ½ tsp Dried Oregano
● ½ tsp Dried Basil
● 12 oz Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
● 8 oz Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
● 1 cup Parmesan, shredded
● Fresh Basil for garnish
Italian Macaroni and Cheese Mise en Place:
Italian Macaroni and Cheese Recipe Directions:
1. preheat oven to 400˚.
2. In a Dutch oven, cook the macaroni until al dente and drain the macaroni in a colander.
3. Return the empty Dutch oven to the stovetop, and over low heat melt the butter.
4. Increase heat to medium, add the flour and cook 2 minutes, whisking constantly.
5. Raise the heat to medium-high and slowly whisk in the milk a ½ cup at a time. Whisk until smooth after each addition.
6. Keep whisking until it starts to simmer, continue whisking, and slowly whisk in the wine.
7. Add the ground mustard, salt, garlic powder, pepper, oregano, and basil; whisk to combine.
8. Add the cheeses a handful at a time whisking until the cheese completely melts between each addition.
9. Add the al dente macaroni and stir to combine.
10. Pour the mixture into a greased 13″x9″ pan and bake at 400˚ until bubbly and browned for approximately 15-20 minutes.
11. Serve hot garnished with chopped fresh basil.
- 12 ounces Elbow Macaroni
- 6 tablespoons Butter
- 1/3 cup All-purpose Flour
- 2 ½ cups Milk
- ¾ cup White Wine
- 1 teaspoon Ground Mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Dried Oregano
- ½ teaspoon Dried Basil
- 12 ounces Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Parmesan, shredded
- Fresh Basil for garnish
- preheat oven to 400˚.
- In a Dutch oven cook over medium heat bring water to a rolling boil and cook the macaroni according to box directions for pasta cook time until al dente and drain the macaroni in a colander.
- Return the empty Dutch oven to the stovetop, and over low heat melt the butter.
- Increase heat to medium, add the flour, and cook for 2 minutes whisking constantly.
- Raise the flame to medium-high heat and slowly whisk in the milk a ½ cup at a time. Whisk until smooth after each addition.
- Keep whisking until it starts to simmer, continue whisking, and slowly whisk in the wine.
- Add the ground mustard, salt, garlic powder, pepper, oregano, and basil; whisk to combine.
- Add the cheeses a handful at a time whisking until the cheese completely melts between each addition.
- Add the al dente macaroni and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 13″x9″ pan and bake at 400˚ until bubbly and browned for approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with chopped fresh basil.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Oven to Table Casserole Dish Set - 100% Stoneware Ceramic Baking Dishes for Cooking & Serving, Lasagna Pan Bakeware is Dishwasher & Microwave Safe - 13" x 10.5" & 11" x 9" Cookware Pans
Hompiks Baking Dish Casserole Dishes Porcelain Bakeware Sets for the Oven 11.02 x 8.35 Inch Baking Dish Set of 3 for Kitchen Lasagna Red Baking Pans
IPOW 3-Piece Ceramic Baking Dish, Value Three Pack Thick Porcelain Rectangular Oven to Table Bakeware Cookware Set Casserole Dishes Lasagna Pans for Cooking & Serving, Dishwasher Safe, Aquamarine
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 498Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 95mgSodium: 1007mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 26g
Note: for exact nutritional information, consult your dietitian. All nutritional information provided is simply a guideline.
● If you enjoyed this post, be sure to sign up for the Ann’s Entitled Life weekly newsletter, and never miss another article!