This easy to make Elf Mason jar lid ornament is simply adorable. This step by step tutorial has easy to follow directions so you can make one for your tree, to give as a gift, or to place on top of a present as a little something extra. What I do for gifts is to wrap them, add the ribbon, and then tape down the handmade ornament below where my bow is going on the gift.
Elf Mason Jar Lid Ornament DIY
I love making Christmas Tree ornaments! If you are looking for more DIY Christmas ornaments (some crafty, some upcycling existing ornaments), you may want to make these:
• How to Make Your Own Rudolph Ornament – upcycle, and so cute!
• oy Decoupage Christmas Ornament – upcycle, more traditional.
• Paw Print Ornaments – perfect for preserving furring little paws.
• DIY Cork Snowflake Ornament – got wine corks!?
• Essy DIY Button Snowflake Ornament – so simple to make!
Elf Mason Jar Lid Ornament Materials
• Mason Jar Lid Ring
• Felt: Green, White and Flesh Colored (blush, brown, black… up to you)
• Christmas (holiday) Twine
• Small Googly Eyes
• Puffy Paint Red and Pink
• Glue Gun
• Hot Glue Sticks
• Yarn Needle
Elf Mason Jar Lid Ornament Directions
• Tie a piece of 8″ twine onto the Mason Jar Lid Ring. Tie the ends into a knot and glue the knot right onto the backside of the lid ring.
• Trace the outside of your lid ring onto a piece of flesh-colored felt, cut out with scissors and carefully glue into the back side of your lid ring.
• Measure the top of your lid ring about ¼ of the way down and cut two pieces of a hat out of green felt by making the bottom with ½” inch wider than your measurement to give room for the sides.
• Place your two hats together and sew the sides together using your yarn needle, twine, and a basic blanket stitch. Bring the needle out directly below again, just below the edge of the fabric. Loop the thread around the needle where it emerges and pull the thread taut. You can read more here. (If you like, you can add a tad of fiberfill to the hat to make it puff-out just a bit.)
• Cut out a white zig zag piece from the white felt to make a hat-band with a flat bottom.
• Glue the hat-band to the bottom of your hat, and on each side.
• Cut a small sliver into the back middle of the hat, slide the hat onto the top of the Mason jar and slide the loop through the back sliver cut and secure the hat with glue.
• Cut out two tiny flesh colored ears and glue them to the sides of the lid below the hat.
• Now glue two googly eyes below the hat onto the flesh colored circle.
• Paint a red smile with you puffy paint.
• Paint two pink dots for cheeks with your pink puffy paint.
• Let your ornament dry overnight and hang by the Christmas Twine loop.
• Disclosure: the links in this post may be affiliate links.
• If you enjoyed this post, be sure to sign up for the Ann’s Entitled Life weekly newsletter, and never miss another article!