How to organize your Christmas decorations and decor so you can find things! Organizing your Christmas decor so it is easy to find and does not get damaged. Christmas Decoration Organization Tips, Ideas and instructions.
I am not the most organized person in the world on a day-to-day basis. I am, however, a pretty organized person when it comes to holiday decor. My containers are color coded (green and red for Christmas, orange for Halloween, etc). I now pay for the containers with the flip closures so nothing tumbles out by accident (been there, done that, not at all fun), and I make use of the right storage containers, bubble wrap and markers! I make sure alike items – such as banister decor, sparkly decorations, tree decor, ornaments, etc are stored together. That way, if I don’t decorate the banister one year, I don’t need to haul up those boxes!
Christmas Decoration Organization Tips:
• Buy plastic containers with flip and snap closures to prevent spills. If you have old containers, use them until they break before replacing with snap closure bins (I certainly do), but don’t over fill them so they don’t burst open.
• Make use of plastic containers in an alike color scheme for each holiday so you will always know which box belongs to what holiday.
• Label your containers where appropriate. I have indoor and outdoor lighted garland, and simply label my containers inside and outside so I know which is which.
• Head over to your local big box store and buy the Snap ‘N Stack ornament containers. Sooooo worth the money! No broken ornaments!
• Buy a Christmas Tree BOX. I tried the nylon softshells – believe me, a box is better. However, if you have a very large tree and have to haul it a distance from storage, the nylon softshells may be a more practical decision.
• Buy hard wreath containers. The hardcases prevent the ribbons, bows and other wreath embellishments from being crushed.
• Wrap your breakables in bubble wrap, or tissue paper to prevent breakage when saving the original box isn’t an option. I don’t advise printed newspaper as the print can (and will) rub off. If you can find unprinted newspaper rolls, get those! They last forever and can be used for many things. If you cann’t find newspaper rolls, you can always buy newspaper sheets.
• Store alike decor in the same box. This is a must for me – that way, if I don’t decorate the banister one year, I don’t need to haul up those boxes from the basement! Labeling the outside of the box makes it super easy to know what type of decor lurks inside.
• Store your packed holiday decor in the same area. It doesn’t have to be pretty if no one goes in that area, you just have to be sure the boxes won’t fall, they are out of the way, and most importantly, you can find and get to the decor when you need it!
What Christmas Decoration Organization tips do you have?
• Disclosure: the links in this post may be affiliate links.
• If you enjoyed this post, be sure to sign up for the Ann’s Entitled Life weekly newsletter, and never miss another article!