New York State is home to some of the most beautiful scenery – natural and man-made – in the United States. Visiting any of these spots provides the foundation for a special and romantic getaway. From big city tourist attractions to the breathtaking natural beauty of upstate New York, let the romance of a New York State getaway take you away.
5 Romantic Places to Visit in New York State
If you are planning a romantic Valentine’s Day outing in New York State, I have some excellent suggestions on great places to visit for your getaway!
You might not think the home of professional baseballs Hall of Fame would be a romantic spot, but Cooperstown’s attraction extends beyond baseball.
Fenimore Art Museum offers a look into American folk art, Native American art, and photography from the 19th and 20 centuries. Staying with a historical theme, Hyde Hall offers a look at a former mansion owned by a wealthy English landowner. The estate is located near Ostwego Lake.
Enjoy a casual dinner at the Hawkeye Bar and Grill at the Otesaga Resort. Grab a burger or enjoy a steak or prime rib. You can select a fine wine from the restaurant’s extensive offerings. Calling downtown Cooperstown home, Nicoletta’s Italian Café offers a casual sit-down environment, where you can enjoy authentic Italian dishes featuring homemade pasta.
Cooperstown is home to some excellent lodging options, such as the Inn at Cooperstown, Tunnifliff Inn, Rose and Thistle B&B
I love the Finger Lakes! Hubby and I have spent a lot of time there during the last five years, and there is a lot to offer in the region.
The Finger Lakes communities offer restaurants with exquisite menus like the Aurora Inn (omg the food is soooo good!) There are some great little towns along the Finger Lakes, of course, Ithaca (home to Cornell University), as well as Greece (visit their downtown – it is fabulous!), and Canandaguia. You can stay at small resorts, wineries, or great B&Bs. Spread across the region, visitors to the area may enjoy traveling to different towns to take in attractions such as the Corning Museum of Glass. I cannot resist buying something in their gift shop everytime I go!
Since the Finger Lake area is known for its wine, create your own wine trail, with stops at any of the dozens of wineries open year-round. Pair your favorite drink with cheese or chocolates, and you have an impressive romantic outing.
While you are in the Finger Lakes, if you would like to do some winery exploration, I’ve been to more than a few:
* Estate Wineries on Seneca Lake
* Wine Tasting On Canandaigua Lake
* Wine Tasting On the West Side Of Seneca Lake
* Wine Tasting On the east Side of Seneca Lake
* Wine Tasting On Cayuga Lake
A little wine, a little fireplace in your room… it doesn’t get much more romantic than a weekend in the Finger Lakes (anytime of the year!)
The site of two winter Olympics games, most recently in 1980, Lake Placid is a great spot for a romantic getaway involving snow and nature. Beyond being home to ski resorts, Lake Placid offers a look at some of the Olympics sporting venues, such as the Lake Placid Olympic Museum, as well as the ski jump and luge complexes.
New York City
Where do you start for a romantic getaway in the Big Apple? I actually got engaged to Hubby at One if By Land, Two If By Sea. I expected a Valentine’s Day proposal (yes, I was a sure thing), but instead, he asked me the week before! Sneaky man.
There are nearly unlimited choices in NYC, so you can easily pick something out of column A and B and create a memorable visit.
A trip to New York requires a visit to Times Square possibly the busiest spot in the world. Stand next to people from hundreds of countries, as New York is the true melting pot of America. As you tour the area, visit Rockefeller Plaza for great views of the city!
With thousands of dining options available, a trip to Little Italy for an intimate dining table and a glass of wine is absolutely perfect.
Find the perfect place to stay in NYC when you click here!
While NYC may be among the most romantic cities, Niagara Falls may be the most naturally romantic spot in North America. With the falls separating New York and Canada, they offer a beautiful backdrop for a romantic getaway. It was the “Honeymoon Capital of the World” for most of the 20th Century; doesn’t get much more romantic than that!
Niagara Falls State Park is simply breathtaking. Enjoy the lightshow, the view from the Observation Tower, and walk the trails on Goat Island and Three Sisters Island. After a half-day spent walking the park, you can enjoy some of the Niagara County regional wines, including New York State Ice Wines! Yum!
New York is home to some of the most beautiful scenery – natural and manmade – in the United States. Visiting any of these spots provides the foundation for a special and romantic getaway. From NYC’s tourist attractions to the natural beauty of Lake Placid and the Finger Lakes, let the romance of a New York getaway take you away.
Looking for more New York State seasonal delights? Here are some great New York State getaways for you and your family to enjoy:
● 10 Best Christmas Towns in New York State – While we may take it for granted sometimes, those of us who live in New York State know that it is a magical place to live during the holidays. Whether you are a New York resident, or you are visiting for the holidays, you can find some pretty amazing places to visit here in the Empire State.
● 10 Fabulous New York State Springtime Getaways – While we may take it for granted sometimes, those of us who live in New York State know that it is a wonderful place to live and play during the springtime. Whether you are a New York State resident, or you are just vacationing in this beautiful region, you can find some pretty amazing places to visit here in the Empire State.
● Best Summer Family Getaways in New York State Summer means vacation time! New York State is home to many inviting spots to spend a long weekend or a full week (or two) with the family. From retracing the steps of great Olympians to camping and fishing outdoors to checking out some of the scary and fun attractions at amusement parks, New York State invites you to enjoy some great quality time with your loved ones on a terrific family getaway.
● If you enjoyed this post, be sure to sign up for the Ann’s Entitled Life weekly newsletter, and never miss another article!