Spicy, zesty, and totally delicious, enjoy the great taste of Buffalo-style chicken wings without the mess in this delicious Buffalo Chicken Wing Soup Recipe. Easy to make, this Buffalo Chicken Wing Soup recipe also freezes beautifully.
Buffalo Chicken Wing Soup Recipe
As many of you know, I grew up in Buffalo (and still live in a suburb). Wings were invented at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo back in the 1960s. We grew up ordering pizza and wings as quick party food, comfort food, or just for dinner.
Buffalo-style wings have become so popular, that went my parents were in Singapore 15 years ago (or so), the waiter asked where they were from, they explained Buffalo, NY and they pointed to the Buffalo Chicken Wings selection on the menu!
The story takes a turn for the odd when the waiter did not realize that Buffalo was a place… I often wonder how many people think a buffalo has a wing? Anyhooo when they could not make him understand that Buffalo was the location the recipe was named after, and not a part of an animal, they finally told the waiter they were from “Niagara Falls”, and he was satisfied.
About 25 years ago or so, a local restaurant: Danny’s, started making Buffalo-style Chicken Wing Soup. It was a smash hit! For years they were the only place around you could get this type of soup. Danny restaurant Buffalo chicken wing soup recipe is something a lot of locals seek out! Danny’s would serve Buffalo Chicken Wing Soup on occasion as one of their four soup and salad bar offerings. Apparently, they heard from their patrons just how well-loved it was because it is a regular offering.
If you mention Danny’s Restaurant to anyone local, they all say, “OMG Danny’s Chicken Wing Soup!!” and start to drool. Yeah, it is that good.
And, Hubby’s recipe is better. Take it from a Buffalonian who grew up eating wings and loving Danny’s chicken wing soup, this Buffalo chicken wing soup recipe is phenomenal!
Buffalo Chicken Wing Soup Recipe Notes:
● You can also make this Buffalo Chicken Wing soup recipe with leftover turkey.
● This soup freezes beautifully. We use food-grade soup containers, Hubby makes a double or triple batch, and we give some away, eat some, and freeze some for later.
● Buffalo chicken wings are always served with bleu cheese, never ranch.
Buffalo Chicken Wing Soup Recipe Ingredients:
● 12 Green Onions
● 6 Celery Stalks
● ¾ cup Unsalted Butter
● ½ cup Flour
● 3 cups Milk
● 3 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
● 4 cups Chicken, cooked and diced
● ¾ cup Frank’s Hot Sauce
● 16 oz Cream Cheese, cubed
● 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
● 1 tsp Onion Powder
● 1 tsp Garlic Powder
Buffalo Chicken Wing Soup Mise en Place:
Buffalo Chicken Wing Soup Recipe Directions:
1. Cut 12 green onions lengthwise, and then cut across in thin slices.
2. Cut 6 celery stalks lengthwise, and then cut across in thin slices.
3. In a large pot over medium heat melt ¾ cup of unsalted butter.
4. Add the chopped green onions and celery and then sauté onions and celery until soft, approximately 5 minutes.
5. Stir in ½ cup of flour until smooth.
6. Slowly add three cups of milk, then three cups of low-sodium chicken broth, stirring constantly until smooth.
7. Add four cups of cooked and diced chicken, ¾ cup of Frank’s hot sauce, 16 ounces of cubed cream cheese, one teaspoon of cayenne pepper, one teaspoon of onion powder, and one teaspoon of garlic powder.
8. Bring chicken wing soup to a simmer while stirring regularly until cream cheese is melted.
9. Taste for seasoning. Add more Cayenne Pepper if you want more heat.
10. Allow the soup to cook until thoroughly heated through, and hot.
11. Serve hot.
- 12 Green Onions
- 6 Celery Stalks
- ¾ cup Unsalted Butter
- ½ cup Flour
- 3 cups Milk
- 3 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 4 cups Chicken, cooked and diced
- ¾ cup Frank's Hot Sauce
- 16 oz Cream Cheese, cubed
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- Cut 12 green onions lengthwise, and then cut across in thin slices.
- Cut 6 celery stalks lengthwise, and then cut across in thin slices.
- In a large pot over medium heat melt ¾ cup of unsalted butter.
- Add the chopped green onions and celery and then sauté onions and celery until soft, approximately 5 minutes.
- Stir in ½ cup of flour until smooth.
- Slowly add three cups of milk, then three cups of low-sodium chicken broth, stirring constantly until smooth.
- Add cooked and diced chicken, Frank's hot sauce, cubed cream cheese, cayenne pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Bring chicken wing soup to a simmer while stirring regularly until cream cheese is melted.
- Taste for seasoning. Add more Cayenne Pepper if you want more heat.
- Allow the soup to cook until thoroughly heated through, and hot.
- Serve hot.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
HOMICHEF Commercial Grade LARGE STOCK POT 20 Quart With Lid - Nickel Free Stainless Steel Cookware Stockpot 20 Quart - Healthy Cookware Polished Stockpots - Heavy Duty Induction Pot Soup Pot With Lid
Sweese 106.002 Porcelain Fluted Bowl Set - 26 Ounce for Cereal, Soup - Set of 6, Hot Assorted Colors
Le Creuset of America PG9102S4-1616 Soup Bowls (Set of 4), 22 oz/6.25", White
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 486Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 21gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 139mgSodium: 718mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 21g
Note: for exact nutritional information, consult your dietitian. All nutritional information provided is simply a guideline.
If you like good soup you will love these unique and fabulous soup recipes:
● Angler’s Soup Recipe – Also known as a fishermen’s soup, this tasty angler’s soup recipe is a perfect meal on a chilly day. Serve before your meal, or as your lunch or dinner with bread or rolls. This delicious soup is one your whole family will enjoy.
● Philly Cheesesteak Soup Recipe – The meaty delightful goodness of a Philly cheesesteak sandwich turned into a creamy and delicious comfort-food soup. Your family will be asking for seconds!
● Stuffed Banana Pepper Soup Recipe – This stuffed banana pepper soup recipe is simply fabulous. Spring, summer, winter or fall, this delicious soup makes for a great lunch or dinner, or a great soup course. Slightly spicy, slightly cream, totally flavorful stuffed banana soup recipe is one your whole family will enjoy.
● If you enjoyed this post, be sure to sign up for the Ann’s Entitled Life weekly newsletter, and never miss another article!