This is the best, easiest Poached Chicken recipe ever! Poaching your chicken breasts will result in a tender, juicy chicken breast that can be used in many delicious recipes, or eaten alone. Poached chicken is much more flavorful than plain boiled chicken. Versatile, easy to make poached chicken freezes well and is great to have on hand for lunch, dinner, or just a wonderful protein-filled snack.
Poached Chicken Recipe
Many years ago, Hubby and I purchased 20# of chicken. Where we purchased had an issue with their truck, so we accepted one 10# box at the discounted rate of 99¢# (boneless, skinless) for a box of frozen chicken. While it was bagged in 2-3# bags inside the box, we never made use of it. So, when we cleaned out one of the freezers a few weeks ago, hubby decided to defrost and poach. He ended up poaching 5# of chicken.
We have poached chicken many, many times since that first poaching in 2011. Hubby uses poached chicken in what is his best recipe: Chicken Salad Recipe and it is phenomenal!
While it may not seem worth the time, I cannot emphasize enough how much better a poached chicken tastes than plain old boiled chicken. Do your recipes a favor (especially your chicken salads and cold chicken recipes), and poach some chicken today!
Hubby will foodsaver the leftover poached chicken for later use.
Tips and variations for making this poached chicken recipe:
● I do not list an amount of water as that will vary by how much chicken you are poaching.
● If you add the peppercorns with all the other ingredients – as opposed to waiting out that first 10-minute simmer – your chicken will be a bit pepperier.
● A dry white wine could be anything from a grocery aisle cooking wine to chardonnay, pinot grigio, or sauvignon blanc.
● You do not have to allow the liquid to cool after you strain it.
Interested in more chicken recipes? Try these:
Poached Chicken Mise en Place:
Poached Chicken Recipe Ingredients
● 1 lb White Onion, sliced
● 1 Carrot, peeled and sliced
● ½ cup Dried Parsley
● 1 cup Dry White Wine
● 1 TBSP Garlic, minced
● 3 TBSP Black Peppercorns
● 5 lbs Chicken Breasts, boneless, skinless (fresh or defrosted)
Poached Chicken Recipe Directions:
● Combine onions, carrots, parsley, wine and garlic in a large stockpot.
● Add enough water to cover the chicken (not yet in the pot) and all other ingredients.
● Bring mixture to a simmer (you have not yet added your chicken).
● Simmer 10 minutes.
● Add peppercorns.
● Simmer 10 more minutes.
● Remove from heat, strain into a large bowl, and allow the liquid to cool.
● Return the strained liquid to your stockpot.
● Add the chicken to the pot, and cover.
● Turn heat to high, and bring to a boil.
● Boil for 1 minute, turn off the heat, and allow the chicken to sit in the hot water for 15 minutes.
● Allow poached chicken to cool in the refrigerator.
- 1 lb White Onion, sliced
- 1 Carrot, peeled and sliced
- ½ cup Dried Parsley
- 1 cup Dry White Wine
- 1 TBSP Garlic, minced
- 3 TBSP Black Peppercorns
- 5 lbs Chicken Breasts, boneless, skinless (fresh or defrosted)
1. Combine onions, carrots, parsley, white wine, and garlic in a large stockpot.
2. Add enough water to cover the chicken (not yet in the pot) and all other ingredients.
3. Bring the mixture to a simmer (you have not yet added your chicken).
4. Simmer 10 minutes.
5. Add peppercorns to the water.
6. Simmer 10 more minutes.
7. Remove from heat and strain into a large bowl and allow the liquid to cool.
8. Return the strained liquid to your stockpot.
9. Add the chicken to the pot, and cover.
10. Turn heat to high, and bring to a boil.
11. Boil for 1 minute, turn off the heat, and allow the chicken to sit in the hot water for 15 minutes.
12. Allow poached chicken to cool in the refrigerator.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Annovero Dessert Bowls – Set of 6 Small Porcelain Bowls for Snacks, Rice, Condiments, Side Dishes, or Ice Cream, 4.75 Inch Diameter, 10 Fluid Ounce (1.25 Cup) Capacity
Souffle Dish Ramekins for Baking – 48 Oz, 1.5 Quart Large Ceramic Oven Safe Round Fluted Bowl with Mini Condiment Spoon for Soufflé Pot Pie Casserole Pasta Roasted Vegetables Baked Desserts (Yellow)
Luigi Bormioli Michelangelo Masterpiece 8-1/4-Inch Footed Serving Bowl, Measures 8.5" DIA X 8"H, clear
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 283Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 129mgSodium: 120mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 48g
Note: for exact nutritional information, consult your dietitian. All nutritional information provided is simply a guideline.
● If you enjoyed this post, be sure to sign up for the Ann’s Entitled Life weekly newsletter, and never miss another article!