The delicious, original, Mai Tai recipe is honestly the best Mai Tai recipe. Sometimes, sticking with the classics is best. Easy to make, the Mai Tai cocktail dates back 75 years. This Tahitian cocktail is fabulous for parties, get-togethers, or relaxing by the pool. The traditional Mai Tai is truly Paradise In A Glass™!
Classic Mai Tai Cocktail Recipe
The classic Mai Tai is a rum based drink, perfect for sipping on a sandy beach or poolside in your own backyard. In case you were wondering what that is inside the Mai Tai, it is the shell of half of the lime you squeezed to make the Mai Tai!
Victor Bergron, aka Trader Vic created the Mai Tai in 1944:
Then one day in 1944, a bit of serendipity happened that would place The Trader at the forefront of rum-soaked cocktail mixology earning him a place in history. He pulled down a bottle of 17-year-old Jamaican Rum from the bar, added a squeeze of lime, a dash of rock candy syrup, a splash of orange curacao, some French orgeat, and poured the concoction over cracked ice. He handed it to a friend who immediately exclaimed, “It’s Mai Tai Roa Ae!” (Tahitian for “Out of this world – the best!”), and the first Mai Tai was born – Paradise In A Glass™.
Original Mai Tai Recipe
● 2 ounces 17-year-old J. Wray & Nephew Rum
● ½ ounce French Garnier Orgeat Syrup
● ½ ounce Holland DeKuyper Orange Curacao
● ¼ ounce Rock Candy Syrup
● juice from one fresh lime
● Hand shake and garnish with half of the lime shell inside the drink and float a sprig of fresh mint at the edge of the glass.
● The 17-year-old J. Wray & Nephew Rum is considered the world’s most expensive rum. For a cool $55,000, you could own one of the last remaining bottles in the world. Read the story here. Described as a a golden medium-bodied Jamaican from Kingston known for its purity and age it is unlikely you can make a true “classic” Mai Tai these days. So, use a nice golden Rum from Jamaica!
● Instead of orange Curaçao, you can use triple sec or Cointreau.
● Simple syrup is similar to rock candy syrup, being made from exactly the same thing as each other, sugar and water. Simple syrup is water saturated with sugar. Rock candy syrup is water supersaturated with sugar. To learn how to make Rock Candy Syrup, Click here. There is no way I could explain it as well. Truly a fabulous tutorial.
● My drink recipe just used Simple Syrup instead of Rock Candy Syrup.
● In case you were wondering what that is inside the Mai Tai, it is the shell of half of the lime you squeezed to make the Mai Tai!
● It may be easier for you to place the place empty squeezed fresh lime into a highball cocktail glass before adding the ice.
● Note that you can, and should, add ice to the drink. Pour your cocktail over ice.
Classic Mai Tai Cocktail Ingredients:
● juice from one Fresh Lime
● 2 ounces Golden Rum
● ½ ounce French Orgeat Syrup
● ½ ounce Orange Curaçao
● ¼ ounce Simple Syrup
● Mint, for garnish
Classic Mai Tai Cocktail Mise en Place:
Classic Mai Tai Cocktail Directions:
● Cut a fresh lime in half, and juice one half for each Mai Tai being made. (reserve the empty half shell)
● Fill cocktail glass half way with ice.
● In a cocktail shaker combine lime juice, golden rum, orgeat syrup, orange Curaçao, and simple syrup.
● Hand shake to combine.
● Strain into prepared cocktail glass.
● Garnish with half of the lime shell inside the drink and float a sprig of fresh mint at the edge of the glass.
- juice from one Fresh Lime
- 2 ounces Golden Rum
- ½ ounce French Orgeat Syrup
- ½ ounce Orange Curaçao
- ¼ ounce Simple Syrup
- Mint, for garnish
- Cut a fresh lime in half, and juice one half for each Mai Tai being made. (reserve the empty half shell)
- Fill cocktail glass half way with ice.
- In a cocktail shaker combine lime juice, golden rum, orgeat syrup, orange Curaçao, and simple syrup.
- Hand shake to combine.
- Strain into prepared cocktail glass.
- Garnish with half of the lime shell inside the drink and float a sprig of fresh mint at the edge of the glass.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Party Essentials Supplies 20-Count Soft Plastic 16-Ounce Halloween Party Cups/Pint Glasses, Spider Print, One size
Farielyn-X Crystal Old Fashioned Whiskey Glasses (Set of 6), 11 Oz Unique Bourbon Glass, Ultra-Clarity Double Old Fashioned Liquor Vodka Bourbon Cocktail Scotch Tumbler Bar Glasses Set
Liber & Co. Almond Orgeat Syrup (17 oz)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 341Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 156mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 2gSugar: 41gProtein: 1g
If you would like to enjoy some more tropical cocktails, try these:
● This Tropical Mai Tai Cocktail Recipe is a rum-based drink that will have you thinking of sandy tropical beaches and warm summer breezes. The Tropical Mai Tai is perfect for any occasion.
● This classic Blue Hawaiian Cocktail will have you thinking of sandy tropical beaches and warm summer breezes. A delightful blend of rum, coconut, pineapple and blue Curaçao, this Blue Hawaiian Cocktail Recipe is perfect for any occasion. Aloha!
● Sorrento Sunrise Cocktail Recipe – The sweet-tart taste of lemon and bourbon combine to make a perfect summertime cocktail. Fresh, clean, and citrusy with just a hint of beaches and sunshine, this delightful Sorrento Sunrise Cocktail is a fabulous summer beverage.
As always, drink responsibly and please don’t drink and drive.
● Disclosure: the links in this post may be affiliate links.
● If you enjoyed this post, be sure to sign up for the Ann’s Entitled Life weekly newsletter, and never miss another article!