This copycat Panera Cream Cheese Soup Recipe is simply outstanding. Easy to make, this recipe can be doubled or tripled and freezes beautifully. If you are looking for an excellent potato soup recipe, make this – it is fantastic!
Panera Cream Cheese Potato Soup Recipe
Hubby and I make this soup a lot – an awful lot. Hubby first made this copycat soup recipe Christmas Eve 2010, and he has made it every Christmas Eve since, as well as many times in between the holiday. This is one fabulous soup. Everyone that has this Panera Cream Cheese Soup not only wants seconds but the recipe too!
Panera Cream Cheese Potato Soup Recipe Notes:
● I strongly urge you to use yellow Yukon gold potatoes if only for the visual appeal. I do not notice a huge taste difference, but the yellow potatoes do look a lot nicer.
● This is one of the easiest soups you will ever make. When we make double and triple recipes, Hubby uses his immersion blender and a huge pot!
● This recipe freezes beautifully.
● That’s it on the notes – Hubby’s been making this for almost 10 years now, and it is one of my three favorite soups, and by far the simplest to make!
Panera Cream Cheese Potato Soup Ingredients:
● 4 cups Chicken Broth
● 4 cups Potatoes, peeled and cubed
● ¼ cup Onions, chopped and minced
● ½ tsp Season Salt
● ¼ tsp White Pepper
● ¼ tsp Ground Red Pepper
● 8 oz Cream Cheese
Panera Cream Cheese Potato Soup Mise en Place:
● Measuring Cup
● Measuring Spoons
● Large Pot
● Immersion Blender
● Large Spoon (for stirring)
Panera Cream Cheese Potato Soup Directions:
1. Combine four cups chicken broth, four cups peeled and cubed potatoes, ¼ cup minced and chopped onion, ½ tsp season salt, ¼ tsp white pepper and ¼ tsp ground red pepper in a large pot.
2. Bring to a boil on medium heat, and continue to allow the soup to boil until potatoes are tender.
3. Smash potatoes to release heat for thickening (hubby uses his stick blender).
4. Reduce to low heat.
5. Add cream cheese (you can cube it if you like).
6. Continue to heat, stirring frequently, until cream cheese melts.
7. Heat thoroughly.
8. Serve hot.
Copycat Panera’s Cream Cheese Potato Soup
Hubby first made this copycat soup recipe Christmas Eve 2010, and he has made it every Christmas Eve since, as well as a many times in between the holiday. This is one fabulous soup. Everyone that has this Panera Cream Cheese Soup not only wants seconds, but the recipe too!
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- 4 cups Potatoes, peeled and cubed
- ¼ cup Onions, chopped and minced
- ½ tsp Season Salt
- ¼ tsp White Pepper
- ¼ tsp Ground Red Pepper
- 8 oz Cream Cheese
- Combine chicken broth, peeled and cubed potatoes, minced and chopped onion, season salt, white pepper, and ground red pepper in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil on medium heat, and continue to allow the soup to boil until potatoes are tender.
- Smash potatoes to release heat for thickening (hubby uses his stick blender).
- Reduce to low heat.
- Add cream cheese (you can cube it if you like).
- Continue to heat, stirring frequently, until cream cheese melts.
- Heat thoroughly.
- Serve hot.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 187Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 705mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 5g
Note: for exact nutritional information, consult your dietitian. All nutritional information provided is simply a guideline.
Look for more terrific soup recipe? Try these:
● Buffalo Chicken Wing Soup Recipe – I was born and raised in Buffalo, and still live in the metropolitain area. To say I know good wings is an understatement. This Buffalo Chicken Wing soup is simply amazing – and better than anything we can get locally in a resteraunt.
● Philly Cheesesteak Soup Recipe – The meaty delightful goodness of a Philly cheesesteak sandwich turned into a creamy and delicious comfort-food soup. Your family will be asking for seconds!
● Stuffed Banana Pepper Soup Recipe – This stuffed banana pepper soup recipe is simply fabulous. Spring, summer, winter or fall, this delicious soup makes for a great lunch or dinner, or a great soup course. Slightly spicy, slightly creamy, totally flavorful stuffed banana soup recipe is one your whole family will enjoy.
Yeah, I just listed the three of my four favorite “Hubby soups”. Try ’em, you’ll like ’em!
● For more Recipes on Ann’s Entitled Life, click here.
● If you enjoyed this post, be sure to sign up for the Ann’s Entitled Life weekly newsletter, and never miss another article!
Diana @ Toronto Teacher Mom says
Thanks for linking up your recipe! Sounds tasty!
Rhonda @Laugh Quotes says
I have never put cream cheese in soup before, sounds interesting. I will give it a try.
That does sound like an interesting recipe.
This sounds amazing! I can’t get enough of Panera’s soups, especially once the weather starts to cool down. I’ll definitely be trying out this recipe. Thanks for sharing! =)
It sounds delicious!
Sarah Halstead (@InTheMomentWith) says
Yummm!!! I may need to make this soon!
Yum.. whats not to love about that!! Sounds like heaven to me!!
Nancy A. says
We love soups and this looks delicious!! Can you use low fat or fat free cream cheese? Just wondered if that would work, want to try this soon!!
Nancy I would think “no” for this soup. However if you give it a go and it works, would you come back and report?
This is my favorite Panera soup! When I lived “up North” I could walk to Paneras every Thursday – that was potato soup day – and have a bowl with one of their fantastic hard rolls – what a wonderful meal!! Now that I live “down South” we do not have a Panera, and I surely do miss this potato soup! How thrilled I am that you posted this recipe – I will be making it tonight for sure!! Now, if you can tell me how to make those little hard rolls, it would be heavenly!!
Here’s a link to a cheat of the Panera Sourdough Bread recipe, but I haven’t tried it myself – – baking.food.com
Made this tonight… amazing! Great recipe =)
Linda "Pete" says
I’ve been making this for a few years now. In fact, I just made this soup last week as the weather is turning colder here in Michigan. My favorite way to make/eat potato soup! Easy to make and oh so yummy!!!
Just send hubby to the store for cream cheese and celery! Gotta have celery in it too just as mom did!
We’re lucky to have a Panera Bread only FIVE minutes away! Love those hunks of bread they serve with soups and salads!
Yum! It’s definitely soup time here, so I’ll be putting this on my recipe list.
I made this for dinner last night, and it was really good. Thank you for sharing!
Looks awesome! Thanks so much for adding your recipe to the Delicious Dishes Recipe Party on Pocket Change Gourmet.
LOVE this soup. Of course I’ve added so many different things. Bacon, broccoli , cauliflower. Instead of onions , I use leeks. I know it’s not the original recipe, but the oissibilities are so endless.
Gena Shadwell says
I’ve made this soup for years-it’s a mainstay! Use this recipe with asparagus or broccoli instead of potatoes-wonderful!!!
Looks yummy! About how many potatoes do you use? Is the measurement 4 cups of potatoes or 4 pounds of potatoes? Thanks!
Hey Kristy, it is 4 cups of peeled and cubes potatoes, just as I wrote in the recipe.
Afroditi Dalaba says
Your killing me smalls….
Can you freeze it
Carrol A Pope says
Just made this wonderful soup. GREAT recipe and will definitely be using this this Winter. Can it be frozen?
I am so glad you enjoyed it! Yes, this Panarea cream cheese potato soup can be frozen. We use freezer grade containers (don’t use the ones labeled only for the deli) and the soup is fine for six months frozen. If the consistency seems a bit thin when you microwave it to defrost/ heat it, simply give it a few good stirs.
I love how comforting this is!! So cheesy and delicious! My kids loved it!
Oh yes please. Get in my belly right now!
Valarie Felton says
Wow. The best potato soup I’ve ever made OR tasted! I doubled the recipe to use my garden potatoes, didn’t add seasoning salt as the broth had plenty of sodium, and used just 1 block of cream cheese instead of 2. Love the white pepper addition. Didnt peel my potatoes either and the soup is GORGEOUS! THANK YOU! Freezing some for winter!
I am so glad you enjoyed it, Valarie!
I have made this several times! Love it! Be patient the cream cheese will melt! Awesome!
I am so glad you enjoy it, Tamara. It is one of my favorite soups.
Made this soup with my sisters garden potatoes and tripled the recipe. The soup turned our great. I did add a cooked ham steak diced once the potato soup was complete. I did not add any salt to the potato soup due to adding the ham at the end and it worked out Great! Will make again 🙂