The meaty, cheesy, delicious goodness of a Philly cheesesteak sandwich turned into a mouthwatering creamy comfort food soup. Your family will be asking for seconds!
This is one of my very favorite soups that Hubby makes. Hubby makes a lot of soups. All different kinds. And he gives them away to friends and relatives. I actually grimace when he considers giving away this Philly Cheesesteak Soup, and I try and hide the frozen containers so they are not easily found.
Yeah, I am selfish, but this is one incredible soup.
Philly Cheesesteak Soup Recipe
If you like the Philly cheese steaks classic sandwich you are going to love this Philly cheese steak soup recipe. It takes all the best flavors of a traditional Philly cheesesteak sandwich and turns those flavors into a really tasty soup form.
It doesn’t matter if it is a cold day in soup season or the middle of July, this fabulous soup makes for a terrific lunch or dinner.
Tips and variations for making this Philly Cheesesteak Soup Recipe:
● Hubby’s words of warning: make sure your roast beef is thin. In his words, “This is not beef barley, you want the roast beef to be as thin as possible.”
● He also recommends you combine the flour well. He said it is very important you cook off the taste of the flour, and are left with the roux.
● Beef broth or beef stock can be used, low sodium or otherwise. We use low sodium items in our household.
● For the provolone we usually just get it sliced from the deli or prepackaged from the dairy. If for some reason you have a hunk of provolone, you may want to chunk it so it melts faster.
● Serve with a crusty roll for a hearty soup combo.
● This Philly Cheesesteak Soup freezes beautifully, well, when you have leftovers.
● For visual appeal (and taste!) serve in a bread bowl!
For more delicious soup recipes, try one of these:
Philly Cheesesteak Soup Recipe Ingredients:
● 1 lb Roast Beef, sliced thin
● ¾ cup Butter
● ½ Green Bell Pepper, diced
● ½ Red Bell Pepper, diced
● 1 Yellow (or Sweet) Onion, diced
● 8 oz Fresh Mushrooms, diced
● 2/3 cups All-purpose Flour
● 6 cups Milk
● 1½ cups Low Sodium Beef Broth
● 1 tsp Salt
● 1 tsp Pepper
● 8 oz Provolone Cheese
Philly Cheesesteak Soup Mise en Place:
Philly Cheesesteak Soup Recipe Directions:
1. Slice one pound of thin roast beef into 1″ strips, set aside.
2. Melt ¾ cup butter in a large stockpot.
3. Add ½ diced green pepper, ½ diced red pepper, one diced yellow onion, and eight ounces of diced mushrooms to the melted butter; sauté until tender.
4. Add 2/3 of a cup of flour to make a roux. Cook the flour for at least 5 minutes; stirring constantly (this will get the flour taste out of your roux).
5. Slowly add six cups of milk, whisking to combine.
6. Bring mixture to a simmer over medium heat; stirring constantly until soup thickens.
7. Add 1½ cups of low-sodium beef broth, one teaspoon of salt, and one teaspoon of pepper.
8. Slowly stir in eight ounces provolone; stir until it is melted into the soup.
9. Remove your soup from the heat, and add in the roast beef strips; stir.
10. Serve while hot; do not overcook as it can make the roast beef tough.
11. Note: the Philly Cheesesteak Soup freezes extremely well. Allow frozen soup to defrost in the refrigerator. Reheat on the stove or in the microwave.
- 1 lb Roast Beef, sliced thin
- ¾ cup Butter
- ½ Green Pepper, diced
- ½ Red Pepper, diced
- 1 Yellow (or Sweet) Onion, diced
- 8 oz Fresh Mushrooms, diced
- 2/3 cups Flour
- 6 cups Milk
- 1½ cups Low Sodium Beef Broth
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 8 oz Provolone Cheese
- Slice one pound of thin roast beef into 1" strips, set aside.
- Melt ¾ cup butter in a large saucepot.
- Add ½ diced green pepper, ½ diced red pepper, one diced yellow onion, and eight ounces of diced mushrooms to the melted butter; sauté until tender.
- Add flour to make a roux. Cook the flour for at least 5 minutes; stirring constantly (this will get the flour taste out of your roux).
- Slowly add the milk, whisking to combine.
- Bring mixture to a simmer over medium heat; stirring constantly until soup thickens.
- Add 1½ cups of low-sodium beef broth, one teaspoon of salt, and one teaspoon of pepper.
- Slowly stir in eight ounces provolone; stir until it is melted into the soup.
- Remove your soup from the heat, and add in the roast beef strips; stir.
- Serve while hot; do not overcook as it can make the roast beef tough.
- Note: the Philly Cheesesteak Soup freezes extremely well. Allow frozen soup to defrost in the refrigerator. Reheat on the stove or in the microwave.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Microwave-Safe Bowl Sets- Wheat Straw Bowls 4 Pack 6.8 inch Large Size Unbreakable Degradable Bowl Reusable Eco Friendly Cereal Bowls for Soup,Dessert and Salad - Easy Dishwasher Safe（Green）
Soup Crocks with Handles, Ceramic Make, Soup, Chilli, by KooK, 22oz, Set of 4 (Red)
V VANCASSO Porcelain Bowls Set for Salad Soup Cereal Rice Snack Dinnerware Bowl Set 4-Piece 6oz Porcelain China Ceramic - Blue
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 619Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 25gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 145mgSodium: 1798mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 36g
Note: for exact nutritional information, consult your dietitian. All nutritional information provided is simply a guideline.
● If you enjoyed this post, be sure to sign up for the Ann’s Entitled Life weekly newsletter, and never miss another article!