Eggnog is a delicious, traditional holiday drink, and this homemade eggnog recipe makes a fabulously rich, tasty, fresh eggnog you can whip up in minutes. This homemade eggnog recipe is truly the best eggnog you will ever have!! Make this eggnog this holiday season.
Eggnog fans will love this delicious eggnog recipe this Christmas season. This is classic eggnog with a lot of liquor, spices, eggs, and cream. Learn how to make your own eggnog by following these step-by-step directions.
Homemade Eggnog Recipe
Eggnog is a classic Christmas cocktail, and this eggnog is the best eggnog recipe I have ever made or tried. It is smooooooth. Truly the perfect eggnog recipe for your holiday entertaining.
A creamy nog that is the perfect holiday recipe for your holiday party, Christmas dinner, or anytime during the Christmas holiday season. You will never go back to a store-bought version of eggnog after making this great recipe.
People get a bit funny about raw eggs worrying about the risk of salmonella, so if it bothers you, consume the eggnog quickly after making it. If raw eggs don’t bother you, this easy eggnog recipe is better on day two.
Eggnog has been around for a long time. The etymology traces back to medieval times: where the nog part of eggnog may be from the word noggin, a Middle English term for a small, carved wooden mug used to serve alcohol.
This time of year, when holiday parties abound, gather around the punch bowl for some delicious eggnog! Instead of store-bought versions, why not make your own festive eggnog recipe?
The Farmer’s Almanac lists George Washington’s Eggnog Recipe.
“One quart cream, one quart milk, one dozen tablespoons sugar, one pint brandy, 1/2 pint rye whiskey, 1/2 pint Jamaica rum, 1/4 pint sherry—mix liquor first, then separate yolks and whites of eggs, add sugar to beaten yolks, mix well. Add milk and cream, slowly beating. Beat whites of eggs until stiff and fold slowly into mixture. Let set in cool place for several days. Taste frequently.”
Clearly, eggnog has evolved over the years. The amount of alcohol used in that recipe would have me on the floor, but quick! This fabulous eggnog recipe contains a bit (ok, a lot) less booze, a bit more egg (and no separation of the egg yolks and egg whites, so easier). Make no mistake, this is boozy eggnog, just not as boozy as President George Washington used to make.
To get you in the holiday spirit, learn how to make this homemade version of eggnog with this traditional eggnog recipe. While the recipe is traditional, this recipe uses a blender that produces a creamy drink instead of mixing in a large bowl. This recipe calls for the use of raw eggs. As I wrote earlier, some people do not want raw eggs to sit, so consume quickly if you are one of those people.
This is an easy recipe made entirely in the blender. No separate bowl, hand mixer (electric mixer), or stove is used in the making of this eggnog mixture. The ingredients used in this egg nog recipe can be commonly found in grocery stores and liquor stores.
How to make eggnog:
1. Beat 6 large eggs in a blender for a minute, add sugar, and blend.
2. Add nutmeg, brandy, spiced rum, milk, and heavy cream; blend,
3. Chill thoroughly and stir before serving a cup topped with nutmeg.
If you would like more festive beverages for the holiday season, try one of these drink recipes:
Tips and variations for making this homemade eggnog recipe:
● Do NOT substitute white rum for spiced rum. I have not used dark rum in this recipe.
● This recipe uses brandy. You could substitute 3/4 cup bourbon or whiskey, but I have not done so.
● This is not a non-alcoholic eggnog recipe, and I don’t see how it could be, as the flavors come from the spices and the booze. You technically control how much alcohol is used in making this recipe; make it as I posted the first time and adjust to your taste from there.
● This recipe uses ground nutmeg (fresh nutmeg ), not cinnamon or cinnamon sticks. While I could see substituting ground cinnamon if that is your preference, I do not see how a cinnamon stick would work in this recipe.
● If you do not have heavy whipping cream, you can substitute half and half. It will not be as rich, but that is not necessarily bad. I would not use milk.
● This is not a hot mixture; quite the opposite. You need to watch your blender time, so you do not cook the eggs.
● You can top your glass of eggnog, or cup of eggnog, with whipped cream. Here is an easy way to make whipped cream that actually produces stiff peaks in no time flat.
● If you would like to add an extract for enhanced flavor, try vanilla extract or rum extract, but I do not think it needs it.
● Store all leftovers in the refrigerator, in an airtight container if possible.
Homemade Eggnog Ingredients:
● 6 Large Whole Eggs
● ½ cup Sugar
● 1½ tsp Nutmeg
● ¾ cup Brandy
● ¾ cup Spiced Rum
● 2 cups Whole Milk
● 1½ cups Heavy Whipping Cream
Homemade Eggnog Mise en Place:
Homemade Eggnog Directions:
● Beat 6 large eggs in a blender for a minute (if using a Blendtec, 20 seconds is fine).
● Add ½ cup sugar, and blend again for another 30-45 seconds (if using a Blendtec, 10 seconds is fine).
● Add 1½ teaspoons of nutmeg, ¾ cup of brandy, ¾ cup of spiced rum, 2 cups of milk, and 1½ cups of heavy whipping cream until combined (30 seconds with a Blendtec, not too long, so the eggs do not start to cook).
● Chill thoroughly.
● Stir before serving.
● Pour chilled eggnog into a glass or mug, and top with nutmeg.
● Refrigerated eggnog when not in use.
- 6 Large fresh Eggs
- ½ cup Sugar
- 1½ teaspoon ground Nutmeg
- ¾ cup Brandy
- ¾ cup Spiced Rum
- 2 cups Whole Milk
- 1½ cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- Beat 6 large whole eggs in a blender for a minute (if using a Blendtec, 20 seconds is fine).
- Add ½ cup sugar, and blend again for another 30-45 seconds (if using a Blendtec, 10 seconds is fine).
- Add nutmeg, brandy, spiced rum, milk, and heavy whipping cream until combined (30 seconds with a Blendtec, so the eggs do not start to cook).
- Chill thoroughly.
- Stir before serving.
- Pour chilled eggnog into a glass or mug, and top with nutmeg.
- Refrigerated eggnog when not in use.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Kook Glass Coffee Mugs, with Handles, Clear Tea Cups, for Hot Beverages, Latte, Cappuccino, Espresso, Dishwasher Safe, Large, 15 oz, Set of 6
Shannon Water Pitcher 46 Oz
BOQO Glass Coffee Cups Set of 4,Double Walled Insulated Drinking Glass Coffee Mugs with Handle,Perfect for Latte, Cappuccinos, Tea Bag, Juice (150ml Water Glasses)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 379Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 196mgSodium: 92mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 0gSugar: 17gProtein: 8g
Note: for exact nutritional information, consult your dietitian. All nutritional information provided is simply a guideline.
Like eggnog? You will love these eggnog recipes:
● If you enjoyed this post, be sure to sign up for the Ann’s Entitled Life weekly newsletter, and never miss another article!