Eggnog is a delicious, traditional holiday drink, and this homemade eggnog recipe makes a fabulously rich, tasty, fresh eggnog you can whip up in minutes. This homemade eggnog recipe is truly the best eggnog you will ever have!! Make this eggnog this holiday season.
Eggnog fans will love this delicious eggnog recipe this Christmas season. This is classic eggnog with a lot of liquor, spices, eggs, and cream. Learn how to make your own eggnog by following these step-by-step directions.
Homemade Eggnog Recipe
This eggnog is the best eggnog recipe I have ever made or tried. It is smooooooth. A creamy nog that is perfect for your holiday party, Christmas dinner, or anytime during the holiday season.
People get a bit funny about raw eggs worrying about the risk of salmonella, so if it bothers you, consume the eggnog quickly after making it. If raw eggs don’t bother you, this easy eggnog recipe is better on day two.
Eggnog has been around a long time. The etymology traces back to medieval times: where the nog part of eggnog may be from the word noggin, a Middle English term for a small, carved wooden mug used to serve alcohol.
The Farmer’s Almanac lists George Washington’s Eggnog Recipe (which would have me on the floor but quick!)
“One quart cream, one quart milk, one dozen tablespoons sugar, one pint brandy, 1/2 pint rye whiskey, 1/2 pint Jamaica rum, 1/4 pint sherry—mix liquor first, then separate yolks and whites of eggs, add sugar to beaten yolks, mix well. Add milk and cream, slowly beating. Beat whites of eggs until stiff and fold slowly into mixture. Let set in cool place for several days. Taste frequently.”
Clearly, eggnog has evolved over the years. A bit (ok a lot) less booze, a bit more egg. Make no mistake, this is a boozy eggnog, just not as boozy as President Washington used to make.
To get you in the holiday spirit, learn how to make this homemade version of eggnog with this traditional eggnog recipe. While the recipe is traditional, this recipe uses a blender that produces a creamy drink. This recipe calls for the use of raw eggs. This is an easy recipe made entirely in the blender. No separate bowl, hand mixer (electric mixer), or stove is used in the making of this eggnog mixture. The ingredients used in this egg nog recipe can be commonly found in grocery stores and liquor stores.
How to make eggnog:
1. Beat 6 large eggs in a blender for a minute, add sugar, and blend.
2. add nutmeg, brandy, spiced rum, milk, and heavy cream; blend,
3. Chill thoroughly and stir before serving a cup topped with nutmeg.
Tips and variations for making this eggnog recipe
● Do NOT substitute white rum for the spiced rum.
● This is not a non-alcoholic eggnog recipe, and I don’t see how it could be as the flavors come from the spices and the booze.
● This recipe uses ground nutmeg (fresh nutmeg ) not cinnamon or cinnamon sticks. While I could see substituting ground cinnamon if that is your preference, I do not see how a cinnamon stick would work in this recipe.
● If you do not have heavy whipping cream, you can substitute half and half. It will not be as rich, but that is not necessarily bad. I would not use milk.
● You can top your glass of eggnog, or cup of eggnog, with whipped cream.
● Store all leftovers in the refrigerator, in an airtight container if possible.
Homemade Eggnog Ingredients:
● 6 Large Eggs
● ½ cup Sugar
● 1½ tsp Nutmeg
● ¾ cup Brandy
● ¾ cup Spiced Rum
● 2 cups Whole Milk
● 1½ cups Heavy Whipping Cream
Homemade Eggnog Mise en Place:
Homemade Eggnog Directions:
● Beat 6 large eggs in a blender for a minute (if using a blentec, 20 seconds is fine).
● Add ½ cup sugar, blend again for another 30-45 seconds (if using a blentec, 10 seconds is fine).
● Add 1½ teaspoons of nutmeg, ¾ cup of brandy, ¾ cup of spiced rum, 2 cups of milk, and 1½ cups of heavy whipping cream until combined (30 seconds with a blentec, at 40 seconds so the the eggs do not start to cook).
● Chill thoroughly.
● Stir before serving.
● Pour into glass or mug, top with nutmeg.
● Refrigerated eggnog when not in use.
- 6 Large fresh Eggs
- ½ cup Sugar
- 1½ teaspoon ground Nutmeg
- ¾ cup Brandy
- ¾ cup Spiced Rum
- 2 cups Whole Milk
- 1½ cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- Beat 6 large eggs in a blender for a minute (if using a blentec, 20 seconds is fine).
- Add ½ cup sugar, blend again for another 30-45 seconds (if using a blentec, 10 seconds is fine).
- Add nutmeg, brandy, spiced rum, milk, and heavy whipping cream until combined (30 seconds with a blentec, at 40 seconds so the eggs do not start to cook).
- Chill thoroughly.
- Stir before serving.
- Pour into glass or mug, top with nutmeg.
- Refrigerated eggnog when not in use.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Kook Glass Coffee Mugs, with Handles, Clear Tea Cups, for Hot Beverages, Latte, Cappuccino, Espresso, Dishwasher Safe, Large, 15 oz, Set of 6
Shannon Water Pitcher 46 Oz
BOQO Glass Coffee Cups Set of 4,Double Walled Insulated Drinking Glass Coffee Mugs with Handle,Perfect for Latte, Cappuccinos, Tea Bag, Juice (150ml Water Glasses)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 379Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 196mgSodium: 92mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 0gSugar: 17gProtein: 8g
Note: for exact nutritional information, consult your dietitian. All nutritional information provided is simply a guideline.
Like eggnog? You will love these eggnog recipe:
● If you enjoyed this post, be sure to sign up for the Ann’s Entitled Life weekly newsletter, and never miss another article!